Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: pumpback fishable?

Post Thanks / Like

Question pumpback fishable?

Read that GRDA "drained" the pumpback (chimney rock / rw holway). Anyone catching crappie from there now?

Thinking aboat taking the raft out there in a few weeks next time I am in the area. I picture it being down 20 feet but not exactly "drained".

mur9978 Guest

It's fishable but the crappie are really tough to find. It's down about 35 foot (but still well over 100 foot deep in places). If you find'em, let me know.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks mur9978, will let you know if I get out there. My last visit to OK, I drove to my old spot for sandbass by the dam / canal and they had it all fenced off. Nothing like fishing spinners in that ultra clear water. There is not much like it down here in the muddy lakes in the DFW area.

I'll be visiting my mom and brother's family for a birthday party so not too sure I will get a "pass" and if I do for how long. I may have to bring the lights and sneak out at night.

mur9978 Guest

No problem. Also, all of the creeks and rivers around here produce lots of sandbass during the spring run. The pumpback also has good sandbass action during the hottest part of summer in the mornings/evenings when they go to rounding up the baitfish. Just watch for them busting the surface.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi mur9978. Thanks for the tip with the sandies in the spring! Never tried the creeks around there but they look good.

I have fished the pumpback during the summer for sandies. This was 15+ years ago. I'd fish from the concrete down from the dam (which is now fenced off). My dad was convinced the pumpback was too full of snakes so we didn't go there as much as we might have.

I'd fish Pryor Creek in Pryor too mainly because it was close (talk about snakes). Would catch a lot of yellow bass for whatever reason. Nothing like walking down to the creek with a cheap spincast reel and a $1 worth of grub tail jigs and walking back with a bunch of fish.