Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: River opinions

Post Thanks / Like

Default River opinions

I have been following the Mississippi River level at Memphis and it just keeps going down. I dont quite understand this. There has been lots of rain and snow up my way in southern illinois so i thought maybe this would raise the river down stream. I understand the lock and dam concept...would that account for the river not being effected a couple hundred miles south? Or have you all just not had the bad weather that we all have had up stream? I would think lots of rain and snow would make it rise? Obiously that could be the dumbest statement ever made but what am i missing? Why is the river seemingly low at Memphis with all this water we are having come outta the sky at the mississippi up here?

Post Thanks / Like

For normal temperature years, the river usually will not rise to significant levels until ice out up north. This usually occurs around the beginning of March. It also takes quite a while for the rising water levels to reach Memphis. If you take a look at some of the upstream gauges, you will see that levels are fairly high. This water will make it down here soon.

We have had a significant shortage of rain lately, so that may have some influence (lots of rain the past few weeks but no runoff into the river because the ground isn't saturated). If you have had any shortages up north, that will definitely have an influence.

Not to worry though, the river will almost certainly make it up to the right level before your trip.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey CarpPoop, There is a guy named Jimfish who lives in Memphis, he fished Midway lastweek and said there is not enough water to launch a boat, but one would have to have a 4 wheel drive to launch off the bank down the levee in the cow pastures. Surely the Mississippi will come up by the time your trip arrives,but, it will have to rise to at least 24 foot to get into Midway. Now , due south on the levee you can fish Whitehall and I think the river gets in it around 16 to 18 feet, I don't know this as fact though. Another thing I just heard the other day, that the water at Horseshoe is contaminated, with what, I have no idea. I figure if anything it is raw sewage, being with all the new construction going on there and the older places that were built when there were no restrictions. I just cooked up about 20 pounds of fish a few weeks ago, that came from there, I ain't dead yet nor did I get sick. :D I'll do a search on that though.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats interesting...let us know what you find out about horseshoe and its contamination...if indeed there is a problem. I remember Bill Dance saying he fished there over the years. I saw a few programs in which he said he was on Horseshoe...but with all the cypress who knows. I remember one show back when i was in High School where he caught like 8 bass and the smallest one was about 5 pounds and the biggest close to 9. He was always back in cypress trees so its impossible to tell exactly what lake he was on. I have my doubts that he was on Horseshoe when he caught those fish for a couple of reasons...but i could be wrong. Anyway, Im still watchin that river level. By the way...is there a ramp at Whitehall? How is the fishing?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, there is a ramp at whitehall, and the fishing is similar to Midway.

Fishinpox, is the water really contaminated? I feel fine, although I did notice a growth on my head.....just kiddin. I haven't heard anything about that. Even if it is contaminated, that doesn't imply that the crappie are contaminated. I hope not, but maybe if it is, it will make the crappie grow a little larger. HaHa. I think Horseshoe holds the world record on the number of dinks. I was there a few months ago, and I swear that I caught one that was about 3in. long.

Post Thanks / Like

My wife told me about Horseshoe however, here lately she has aqquired a since of humor, so she thinks. :D I believe she is pulling me leg. Then the knot headed boys whom thinks he loves my daughter told me his dad said that. I'll get them back if the story is false.

I know for a fact Bill Dance fished Horseshoe alot. He was tight lipped about where he would catch fish on that lake, even the crappie. There are not many stands of Cypress trees on that lake.

The ramp on Whitehall is a good concrete ramp. You can't miss it. Hehehe, The guy that lives there has his old dog to collect your launch fee. I wonder if he is still there. It has been a few years since I've been there.

Post Thanks / Like

I just ran into this...the noaa site for checking river levels/flood stages...and it reminded me of this thread.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/ahps/
    I think I got one...

Post Thanks / Like

Default horshoe& midway

first i have about horshoe, been getting limits havent seen a three eyed or one with two tails yet. As far as midway got some bad info, you can put in at fowlers kind of shallow.Water comes in at23ft on mem. gauge.Heading there as soon as wind dies down. At horshoe hit the piers with sparkle jigs clear with red glitter.

GOOD LUCK
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Jim -

Let me know about Midway. That is my "home" lake, even though I'm quite a ways from it now.

Horseshoe is a good place to have some fun. You might not catch anything over 1/2 lb but you cant beat 'em off with a stick. Also try blk/chart jig.

Post Thanks / Like

Default horshoe/midway

Got a report while ago on midway. One of the guys went and got 15 before the wind got him. Total wt. 33lbs. thems hawgs.
    As far as horshoe been gettin a lot of dinks but also picking up a lot of 10-12 in fosk also picking up some 1-1 1/2 pounders. As far as jigs they change by the min.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER