PDA

View Full Version : Advice on long lining and spider rigging?

MePreach
11-23-2010, 07:47 AM
I have been going back and doing a lot of reading on these two types of fishing and think I have the basic concept! I have a couple questions that I am not sure about.....will the B'n'M Pro staff rods work for both?......and I cannot figure out what length that I need?....if I understand it correctly you start wide say 14' then 12' then 10' etc. there is a 3 rod limit on lakes I fish but do take folks with me most of the time!...I am fishing out of an 1860 G3 boat if that helps any?.....i just dont want to invest that much money and find out I messed up! Thanks for the Help:D

majflyboy
11-23-2010, 07:53 AM
I use BnM Pro Trollers in 16', 12', &10' for spiderrigging, 16, 12, & 8 for pulling cranks.

RogerA
11-23-2010, 08:10 AM
I use 14 ft. Pro Trollers for spider rigging and the 14, 12,& 10 BGJP's for longline trolling and 6 ft. rods out the back for my partner. If you will send me a PM I can give you a phone # so you can call me and I can expain more about the 2 methods. I am no expert but have been doing both for several years and have caught many fish doing each.

Wannabe...
11-23-2010, 09:45 AM
Most everyone down here uses the same length for spider rigging. Either 12, 14 or even 16. I personally use 14s but ran 12s last year. If you're going to long line and pull of the side, then staggering the length will be important, but if you're pulling off the back, you can easily use 3 poles same lengh when only using 3 poles. It'll get a little trickier 6 of the same lenght, but still will be doable.

Having said that, when spider rigging deeper water, a shorter pole is fine (say over 8 ft). To me, the only advantage to a longer pole is when you're fishing 6 ft or less by getting it further from the trolling motor and spooking less fish from the noise. The catch is, the shallower the water with a longer pole, the more difficult it is to land a fish with so little line out. To overcome this, I use baitcasters with a thumb release, so I can easily release the line and free spool enough out to bring the fish in.

PSTs are excellent for spider rigging, but they are very stiff relative to other rods. For shallow and big hard hitting fish, like Grenada, they're about perfect. The hitch is when the fish get deep and finicky or if the water is wavy. I've fished with other's Capps and Coleman Rods and I'd rather have those for deeper, finicky fish or when the water is rocking. However, they are so light action that a good fish will whip your tail when fighting him if you're not careful. Not sure what size fish you have in Neely Henry, but that might be a consideration.

Bottom line - I'd get 6 PST poles of the same length, then as your budget allows lay in some additional different length ones for when you long line 6 poles.

Wannabe...

65pontiac
11-23-2010, 09:59 AM
You also want longer pools for spider rigging so that your line does not get caught in the prop of the trolling motor. :eek:

monkscrappie
11-23-2010, 10:22 AM
I use 22 poles for long lining and Spider rigging. Lenghts are 20, 18, 16, 14, 12, 10, and 8 ft. The Pro Staff is suitable for 3/4 oz lead or long lineing with 1/16 oz jigs.

Monk Monk's Crappie (http://monkscrappie.com)

MePreach
11-23-2010, 11:06 AM
I will be long lining off the front sides for the most part...so I guess I need to stagger the sizes to begin with and then add others to my arsenal! I do very well pitching jigs but after reading all these post for a year about it and finally set back and watched a guy long lining on Weiss yesterday morning...I have just got to give it a try! I have never spider rigged or long lined and dont know anyone that does to ask or go with....so this forum has been my only scource to go on! I just dont want to buy the wrong thing and then wish I would have asked more questions....and I am sure I will ask a few more before I purchase! I dont mind learning by trial and error but just not wanting to do that with the equipment I buy! I figure if I get good equipment the learning process might not be as frustrating! The only lakes I fish or Weiss and Neely Henry...Both have good numbers and nice size crappie!

gabowman
11-23-2010, 11:20 AM
Sounds like the info provided is spot on! I fish out of a narrow boat so I fish all my longlining rods off the back of my boat. I use 5.5' rods, 6', 8', 10', and 12' rods. One each for each side of my boat...using 10 rods in total. The reason for the different lenghts is to keep some distance between lines trying to avoid some tangles. My spider poles are all 13'ers. I'm set up to fish 8 of 'em off the front of my boat. I bought cheap poles and attached eyes and reels to 'em. I will say this though...once I began longlining it's HARD going back to spider rigging.:o:D:D

ledouxmike
11-23-2010, 06:07 PM
I got into spider rigging about a year ago. I catch good numbers of fish and I just love it. It sure is fun when the bite is on and you bring in several good fish back to back. I have different length poles 10, 11,12. If I had to do it all again, I think I'd buy all 11 footers. When you fan out your poles, you get the separation between the line that you need. Put two poles almost straight ahead and then fan the other ones out evenly so you get good spacing. I use the bee ready adjustable rod holders. Don't use their non-adjustable ones, they aren't any good. Good luck with your endeaver.

wilbur
11-23-2010, 07:00 PM
I never longlined But I like spider rigging. I run 6 silstar rods off the front on Hi -TECH holders 12 footers. With 1 oz. of lead. For reels I use cheap ice fishing spinning reels. Most of the time I do pretty well. I dont see how longling could be any easier. Sounds like alot to keep lines from tangling. If we hit a school SR we just keep circling. hard to do with 40 ft. of line out. One time we just put it on spotlock and murdered them 45 in 1.5 hr.

majflyboy
11-23-2010, 07:17 PM
One time we just put it on spotlock and murdered them 45 in 1.5 hr.

Don't you just love that i-pilot??

kingkrappie
11-23-2010, 07:18 PM
Most everyone down here uses the same length for spider rigging. Either 12, 14 or even 16. I personally use 14s but ran 12s last year. If you're going to long line and pull of the side, then staggering the length will be important, but if you're pulling off the back, you can easily use 3 poles same lengh when only using 3 poles. It'll get a little trickier 6 of the same lenght, but still will be doable.

Having said that, when spider rigging deeper water, a shorter pole is fine (say over 8 ft). To me, the only advantage to a longer pole is when you're fishing 6 ft or less by getting it further from the trolling motor and spooking less fish from the noise. The catch is, the shallower the water with a longer pole, the more difficult it is to land a fish with so little line out. To overcome this, I use baitcasters with a thumb release, so I can easily release the line and free spool enough out to bring the fish in.

Bottom line - I'd get 6 PST poles of the same length, then as your budget allows lay in some additional different length ones for when you long line 6 poles.

Wannabe...

thats it. i push 1/8 ounce jigs and pull 5 oz weights w/cranks with the same pst, your rod holders and boat position will determine if you have to have different lengths for staggering poles.

samiam
01-19-2011, 07:33 AM
What speed do you all use for spiderrigging and longlining?

yikess
01-19-2011, 09:45 AM
For spiderrigging zero to .3-.4, for long lining up to .8 and maybe creep up to 1.0 to see if their interested.

shipahoy41
01-19-2011, 10:36 AM
Wow my Alabama preacher friend. Matt 7:7 you asked and received lots of great advice here. I have never done it but I have seen it done on Russ Bailey's Midwest Crappie and also on Linder's Angling Edge and Bill Dance Outdoors. I know they all have shows on line. Might be a good idea to google some of these shows and see firsthand what these teaching pros are talking about too.

rnvinc
01-19-2011, 11:50 AM
Midwest Crappie | MyOutdoorTV.com (http://www.myoutdoortv.com/fishing/midwest-crappie)

I suggest watching all of Russ's shows...they are very informative...

gabowman
01-19-2011, 12:59 PM
for spiderrigging zero to .3-.4, for long lining up to .8 and maybe creep up to 1.0 to see if their interested.

gabowman
01-19-2011, 01:03 PM
Here's a couple good vids from one of Ga.'s very own that gives some good footage of longlining. You cant find all that much for that style of fishing...'least I cant.:rolleyes::o

YouTube - Crappie in GA Part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf7C12-slkg)

YouTube - Crappie Longlining in GA Part 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xO3WNWjNLE&feature=related)

crappie_dan
01-20-2011, 08:51 AM
Not to hijack the thread but,.....if im spider rigging, vertical out of the front what is the best setup for the man in the back of the boat? I have put rods out the back vertical as well but seems like the front rods get most action. Is it possibe to longline out the back while spider rigging?

rnvinc
01-20-2011, 12:15 PM
Not to hijack the thread but,.....if im spider rigging, vertical out of the front what is the best setup for the man in the back of the boat? I have put rods out the back vertical as well but seems like the front rods get most action. Is it possibe to longline out the back while spider rigging?

Spider riggin is usually done 0.1 to 0.6mph....

Longlining takes a little more speed...0.8 to 2.0mph....

You can definately spider rig out the back at the same time ....and try different baits and depths from the front to experiment and find what the fish are wanting....

The guy in the back is not going to be in the same advantage as the guy in the front but that doesn't mean he can't catch fish......

feelay
01-20-2011, 01:26 PM
Spider riggin is usually done 0.1 to 0.6mph....

Longlining takes a little more speed...0.8 to 2.0mph....

You can definately spider rig out the back at the same time ....and try different baits and depths from the front to experiment and find what the fish are wanting....

The guy in the back is not going to be in the same advantage as the guy in the front but that doesn't mean he can't catch fish......

Agreed, this is why many of us rig our boats to fish both anglers up front.

rushcreekoutdoor
01-20-2011, 03:14 PM
Wannabe's post on page one of this thread is on the money. Good solid advice.

I have used Wally Marshall 16 foot poles mainly the last few years for spider rigging. They are difficult to break. Mega durable. Last year I bought some B'M PST 16 footers to tightline on the recommendation of Cracker68. I am absolutely in love with them for tightling. They considerably more sensitive than my Wallys which I use mainly with bobbers. The B'Ms don't seem as tough, but I can see light bites better. I'm gonna try the 18 or 20 foot PSTs for shallow water (just a couple for the middle of the boat!)

Good luck
rco

slipfloater
01-20-2011, 09:29 PM
:)Well ima gonna be tryin spider riggin for the first time this year as well and have learned alot in this thread. I have 4 ten foot poles and my rod holders but what I need the most is some sort of way to rig two seats on the front without drillin holes and stuff like that. I be fishin on Ky Lake. Good info on here! Thanks.:D

Kelly Matthews
01-20-2011, 10:07 PM
Long Lining Ive always used 12's out the front sides left and right and 10's right behind them. 7.5's straight off the back is a good length - Speeds on long lining .7 to .9 will catch fish most of the time with the right size jig head. Go with the BnM Crappie Wizard in these lengths and you will be happy...

Spider Rigging out the front I like to use the shortest rod I can and still catch fish, when fishing channel ledges or any water in the 14 to 16 feet range you can use a 10 footer without any trouble at all. The shallower water you go the longer the rod you want. This keeps from spooking fish. Anything shallower than 8 to 10 feet I would go with longer rods say 12's to 14's Any water under 8 go with 16's... If you plan on tournament fishing much at all I would get 14's and 16's and learn to use them in all depths... Big crappie know when somethings not right the further you can stay away the better your chances for those Big Daddy's. Hope this helps, Good Luck...!