Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter Months

Post Thanks / Like

Question Winter Months

Any suggestions on what to do to outboard motors in the winter when storing outside and you still may brave the cold and take it out fishing?
    RHill KCNorth

Post Thanks / Like

I always trim mine all the way down and let it drain for a few minutes every time i take it out of the water in the winter and turn it over a couple times to make sure all the water is out of the impeller,check to make sure there's no water in the lower unit grease and you should be good to go.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Speck is online now MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

When you take it out of the water, make sure all of the water drains from the lower unit. Run fuel stabilizer in your gas. I'm sure there are other suggestions.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Thats how we winterize it. Tilt er all the way down and throw the cover over the boat. Just remember to tilt it up when you take it to the the lake. Another good idea is to check the oil in the lower unit to make you don't have any seals that may be leaking, you definitely don't wanna have any water in there that could freeze and bust something. This of course should be checked all the time anyway, but for sure in freezing temps.
    Proof is in the pictures. Top is nine and bottom is Slabbenstein!

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Slabbenstein View Post
    Thats how we winterize it. Tilt er all the way down and throw the cover over the boat. Just remember to tilt it up when you take it to the the lake. Another good idea is to check the oil in the lower unit to make you don't have any seals that may be leaking, you definitely don't wanna have any water in there that could freeze and bust something. This of course should be checked all the time anyway, but for sure in freezing temps.
    And..as mentioned...add your stabil to the gas and get it into the carbs.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Marine Sta-bil all of the time, it is supposed to take care of the ethanol in the gas. I use it in all mowing gas as well. I've never had a fuel problem. Walmart carries it, and it's cheap insurance.

Post Thanks / Like

Same here with stabil year round.Also,run some quickleen during the warmer months.Engine down and full tank of gas winter storeing.

Post Thanks / Like

When you use you boat all winter does any water stay in the bilge pump lines or the livewell lines that may cause your pumps to freeze up? Is there any secret to make sure they are cleared out.

Post Thanks / Like

LSL just drain them best you can, and hit the swithch and run the pumps for a few seconds, wont hurt them, motor thing is a must drain the water before you leave the lake I use the seafoam all year.

Post Thanks / Like

run sea foam year round,i always drain about 1/2 cup out of lower unit,trim down and let water run out,i always trim all the way up it takes presure off your tilt and trim cylinders.then tarp all down, been working good since nearly 80s i also do what beagle says above
    GRAND KIDS 4 IS ALL YOU NEED

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast