Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: fishing with glow jigs/baits at night

Post Thanks / Like

Default fishing with glow jigs/baits at night

I'm one of those who likes to fish until it's almost too dark to see. Many times crappie will bite right up till dark and then they shut down. I'm wondering if the only reason they stopped biting is because they couldn't see the lure.

How much success are you having using glow baits after dark? I understand they can help during the day in deeper water and are good at dawn & dusk. If you switched over to glow baits could you continue catching crappie for another couple of hours or is it pretty much a waste of time? I am not talking about using a night light but just tightlining brushpiles.

What glow colors work best at night & what colors work best in low light conditions?

What glow baits have you found to be the most effective?

Do you find you catch bigger crappie after dark or about the same size? It seems like crappie fishermen in the north catch bigger fish after dark using glow jigs thru the ice.

Any advice on making your own glow jigs & any advice on how to fish them would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually I have had better luck during the day than at night. Think about it for a minute, if you water is just stained 10' down it's dark as heck in the day time.

However you question about them seeing at night, they can see just fine at night and have caught them on spinner baits at night fishing for bass. I think you just have to let them transition to night and then it's on, but get a light for in the water to draw in bait fish which will draw in crappie.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Firm believer in "glo", had some very "bright" orange ice jigs, caught all kinds of perch, `gills, crappie, a couple of smallish cats (who would have thunk it?) and of course more than a couple of legal "tooth fairies" on them over several yrs. Bought more of the same kind, but they weren`t as "bright", still caught a few fish, but not like the first pack. Do you think got a really GOOD "defective" batch of them? Sure seemed to work...

Post Thanks / Like

All of them I make are bright and glow for a long time, body and head. Also tough as they can be.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Am interested. Will say this, the 10- 12 "defective" ice jigs in that pack got for Christmas were dug out of many a fish that swallowed them, hung onto the last 2 for a LONG time, but finally lost the last 1; darn near cried, was actually BUMMED out `cause fishing an older "defective" 1 and a replacement side by side 5` apart, no comparision! Switch holes and guess which 1 got bit? Even put nibblers on the newer 1, plain bare "defective" 1 STILL outfished it; miss that "defective" batch. Just "glowed" brighter, longer...

Post Thanks / Like

Good post, me and another cdc member are on a quest to experiment with glow jigs at night, and especially this spring on the spawn durind a full moon phase to see if we can catch the big sows on the nest.
    "Never Fry Bacon Naked"