Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rods that feel like a Loomis IMX?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rods that feel like a Loomis IMX?

Looking for suggestions on a more affordable rod in the 6'6 to 7ft range that feels similar to a loomis IMX. My favorite rod is my 6'6 IMX ultra light, but I don't want to spend $250 to buy another. If you have fished the IMX series and found a rod almost as light and sensitive for less money I'm all ears. Thanks
    Fish like your hungry!

Post Thanks / Like

i have never fished with a loomis rod but i did just purchase a Berkley lighting rod 7' MF for under $40 and it is by far the most sensitive rod i've fished with. spooled with 20# power pro i can feel the difference in mud bottom or gravel in 35 fow with a 3/8 0z jig. i dont know about the ultra light or light rods but would think they would be just as sensitive in fast action.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dongotto View Post
    Looking for suggestions on a more affordable rod ...
    Define "more affordable". St. Croix Avid's are comparable to Loomis but are in the $170-$200 range. Rogue Rods (ex-Loomis employees) are also very good rods, but they are priced like the Avids.

The Loomis IMX is a premium rod. It'll be very hard to find anything remotely similar for less than the prices I listed above.

Post Thanks / Like

I cast with loomis 782 and drop with dobyns 702, disco is right, the next lower price with any quality would be the st.croix rods.
    The only thing close in weight and hi mod rod would be a rain shadow blank and have the rod built. If you go this route be sure to use the long foot guides.
    Last edited by brushnjigs; 11-22-2010 at 02:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Check these first 2 models out, XP840 & 841. Very light and senstive with a nice ti-chrome finish.Batson Enterprises - RX8 Popping
    "Never Fry Bacon Naked"

Post Thanks / Like

i have the same rod as you and i can honestly say i have found no other rod to be equal.
    what i did was save up and bought a spare. could not stand it so i put it in service and began
    saving for yet another one and now it sits in the closet just in case. the best crappie and bluegill
    rod i have ever used in 55 years of fishing.
    start saving don't settle for less as you probably will not be satisfied.
    Yodibuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yodibuzz View Post
    i have the same rod as you and i can honestly say i have found no other rod to be equal.
    what i did was save up and bought a spare. could not stand it so i put it in service and began
    saving for yet another one and now it sits in the closet just in case. the best crappie and bluegill
    rod i have ever used in 55 years of fishing.
    start saving don't settle for less as you probably will not be satisfied.
    I have came to the conclusion that is the best solution. Folks wouldn't hesitate to buy a gun for $250 that they only use a few days a season and I use my crappie poles year around. I have the loomis 6'6 ultralight, and 6'6 light one piece and love them both, but for delictate vertical fishing I have found nothing that equals the ultralight. Like I have said before I had a chance to buy the pair for $200 from a guy that was going through a tough time and needed the money and while that won't happen again I might as well save and buy another 6'6 ultralight for regular retail. It seems some on this forum are quick to poke fun at loomis rods, but I have tried them and a lot of different stuff over the years and found nothing that feels the way they do. Maybe it's just me?
    Fish like your hungry!

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto to what deathb4disco said. The IMX is gonna be hard to beat, but I have some St. Croix Avid's and I'm extremely pleased with them.

Post Thanks / Like

I would never steer you away from a Gloomis if that is really what you want. My theory is buy the best gear you can afford and quality does make a difference, BUT things have changed in the rod business in the last few years and that feel you get from a premium rod can be had for much much less.

I am a tackle nut and try to get every single piece of gear that interests me in my hands to test and feel and compare to what I have and know. Here is the conclusion I have come to when it comes to premium rods. The advantage in technology and materials for the premium companies has vanished because graphite tech has hit its ceiling, so even the cheap foreign made blanks are now so close to the premium American blanks it would be impossible to tell the difference if you had an elcheapo IM8 - IM10 foreign rod next to a StCroix or a Gloomis or one of the smaller premium rod companies if there were no branding on the rods with the same real seats. The real differences between the premium American rods and the foreign are very slight. So slight that only rod experts can really tell the difference.

The companies have resorted to questionable "new" technology that makes this blank or that blank lighter, thinner or more sensitive. They try to differentiate by laying the graphite fibers a certain way or combining titanium, kevlar, scrims or whatever material they think will fool people into thinking that this name or that name is the "best".

Here are what the real differences are. 1. warranty. 2. material contruction and rod assembly quality 3. name. That's pretty much it. Real seats are all pretty much the same except for a few innovations on very high end seats. Even those are once again only slight improvements. The better rods are built and assembled better, but only slightly better unless your buying real walmart/BPS/Chinese mass produced cheapo garbage.

All that explanation comes down to this conclusion. You can spend $250 - $500 on one premium rod, and feel good using the very best or spend $50 - $100 and get a rod that is just as light, durable and sensitive as the big boys. Not every rod in that price category matches up to the big boys, but if you know your stuff and do your homework there are some rods out there that are really great rods.

I'm a bit of a rod snob, but not an elitist. That means I don't buy rods from walmart, wally marshall, shakespear, or eagle claw, and on the other end I have never spent more than $150 for a rod either. I buy in the sweet zone. $100 - $150. That's where those rods live that are as good as the big boys but not as glitzy.

Here is the reason for my OPINIONS above. Just as a test 3 years ago I decided to buy rods below what I usually do mainly because I wanted to see what I could get for as little as possible and still have the same quality I was used to. I did my homework and bought 3 identical rods in different actions from Gander Mountain for $50 each. They are the Guide series, IM8, 2 piece, 7 foot in Lite, ML and Med actions. I put Gander Mountain Tournament spinning reels (Pfleuger Presidents with Ganders name on them), $35 each on sale on the 2 larger rods and a Diawa Excelor I got for $50 on the lite. At the time they cost all a little more, but got them all on sale, and I know the guys at my local GM store well. Keep in mind that I have been using Shimano Stradics and St Croix Premier and Avid rods for about 20 years. All that gear was 1/3 to 1/2 of what I had always spent on my gear.

In all honesty those rods are actually are better than the Premiers and just a smidgen worse than the Avids, a $130 - $200 rod and in my opinion the best all around rod at any price you can buy. The reels are also excellent. As good as any Shimano I have ever used and the Excelor is better. I've broken 3 of the rods and gotten replacements, no questions asked. The reels have been perfect.

Now, I want to buy new gear. Shimano Stradic Ci4 or Diawa Steez reels, and St Croix Legend Elite rods, but I just cant spend the money because what I have works so good. It's a dilemma. I will eventually go back to the better tackle, but man its hard to spend the big bucks when you can get such good gear so cheap.
    Last edited by GRIZZ; 11-22-2010 at 10:34 PM.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

I hace a St Croix that I picked up at BP for $100.00. It is not a GL but it is pretty close. I have both. Bee fishing GL for 30yrs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast