Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: November night bite any good?

Post Thanks / Like

Default November night bite any good?

Is anybody doing good night fishing this time of year? Lately, I've had no luck during the daylight hours on Lake Oconee and have been thinking about trying after the sun goes down. What would be the best depths and locations to work the night shift? Bridges, coves, flats, standing timber, etc? Also, if anybody is familiar with Lake Oconee what area of the lake tends to hold the most fish this time of year? Sugar Creek and the lower end of Richland Creek have not been fruitful for me. Any help will be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

If you know of a good creek that is known for the crappie bite this time of year, I would start there. I would look for brush piles close to the creek channel, or points, or ledges in 20+ ft of water. I'm thinking of going on Thanksgiving night and will post a report if I do any good.
    Simple Life = Better Life

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply. Now I don't feel like such an oddball for wanting to night-fish in November and possibly December depending upon weather conditions. Its funny that you mention fishing in 20ft of water because thats the depth that I was finally able to catch a few fish today. With water temps spanning 62 to 65 degrees, I was expecting the crappie to be in 8 to 12 feet of water and this explains why I have been having a buzzard's luck trying to catch fish. Again, thanks for the response and please give a report on your night trip and I will do the same when Im able to freeup a night to fish.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Crappie.com pauldo. The night bite stays good all winter. You will catch big crappie in Dec, Jan and Feb nightstalking.
    We most fish in the 25 to 30 depths with our bait anywhere from top to bottom. Let the fish tell you the depths they want the bait then set you bait to that depth. The main thing we look for before setting up is bait. Once I find bait I like to set up near a drop or channel.
    Good luck and be sure to post some reports on your catch. Check out the SC board, most of the time there will be a nightstalking report there.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

pauldo, Im near Macon and fish a local lake and was thinking about doing a nightstalk this weekend. Like you said the water temps are back up in the lower 60's again. If you go let us know how you do.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

I did a night trip on Thanksgiving and caught these. Was fishing on a point in 18.5'. Water temp was 64. I'm new to night fishing also, but have always heard that the winter time is great for the night bite, especially for the big slabs.

Post Thanks / Like

Good catch. You're making me want to do a night trip.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you use the same tactics as fishing in the summer at night...ie.. lights submerged anckered and such?
    IF FISHING IS A SPORT
    THEN I AM AN ATHELETE........

Post Thanks / Like

ratherbfishin, I use the same night fishing tactics in the summer as well. In my opinion, the only thing you need to change when night fishing is location, which is going to be dependent on the seasonal patterns of the crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the responses guys and sorry for my slow reply. Between working and being sick, I havent felt much like firing up the computer or going out for a nightstalk. Slab-in-the-box, thats a nice catch you got. Timbo 66, I wish I could point you in the right direction but I havent been able to go out lately. However, I will say that my earlier plans were to put in at Long Shoals and find a spot in the first patch of standing timber to the left (when going towards the dam). I found success there during summer when they were running deep so I just figured they might hangout at this location to make preparations for winter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast