Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on A Few Starting Lures

Post Thanks / Like

Default Advice on A Few Starting Lures

Hey guys I need to advice on a few good lures/colors that work well to start with. I fish lake conroe in texas, the water is slightly stained with about 2 ft visiblitiy. Ive used live bait usaully but would like to get into lures. Thanks guys.
    Get some stink on your hands!

Post Thanks / Like

you will get more advice than you can sift through here he he. I say a 1/16 jighead with bobby garland baby shad, some panfish assassins, and maybe some tube jigs. Color varies everywhere, so a few of several different colors.

Post Thanks / Like

In that water clarity for basic vertical applications I would go with Midsouth super jigs(tubes) in Glow chart, Gchart/black, Gchart/red. I would fish a sickle hook jig head in a number 4 or 2 hook size depending on if you go 1/16oz and/or 1/8oz. During the spawn I would fish the same tubes, but I would add some grubs like the southern pro Chart/shad, and Berkley gulp Chart minnow grub on 1/16oz road runner head.
    Fish like your hungry!

Post Thanks / Like

A plain ol' marabou-and-chenille jig is a great bait. They're cheap, more durable than plastics, and will catch anything. I like a 1/32 or 1/16 oz in chartreuse or white.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default colors

I tied these for my brother a while back, should give you an idea what I keep in my box. The gray ones do real good.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Mini-Mites.
    Cubby Fishing Tackle

Great lures. they come in two sizes. Both work great.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Well, Thump Doc ...

Quote Originally Posted by Thump Doctor View Post
    Hey guys I need to advice on a few good lures/colors that work well to start with. I fish lake conroe in texas, the water is slightly stained with about 2 ft visiblitiy. Ive used live bait usaully but would like to get into lures. Thanks guys.
    "they ALL work" (for somebody, sometime, somewhere :p )

But, I'll tell ya what I started out with ... many years before I had several tackle boxes full of lures/colors to choose from :

1/16oz chenille/marabou jig (all white, or all chartreuse)
    1/16oz marabou Roadrunner (all chartreuse, or all pink)
    1/16oz jighead ... 1.5" plastic tubes (blu/char, red/char, blk/char, green/char, pink ... sparkle flakes optional)

Starting out, I was pretty much just a jig caster .... and I still prefer to use that method. Over 30yrs ago, a good friend of mine showed me another method. "Vertical Casting" was introduced to me, and stayed stuck in the back of my mind, until another friend of mine happened to do the very same thing ... with the same results (he caught Slabs, right out from under the boat). My fishing partners & I have been using this method for over 10yrs, and still putting a few extra fish in the boat with it. Here's the article I wrote about it : Vertical Casting | Older Articles

And keep your eyes on the jig tying & DIY soft plastics forums .... our members are coming up with, & turning out some great looking baits. And don't forget the "Businesses" link, at the top border of the page ... where you'll find sponsoring businesses, like P&S Custom Tackle, selling customized jigheads & baits ... made to your specifications.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I have several customers that fish that lake and if interested in jigs and if I can help shoot me a PM or email.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

1/16oz heads with sliders in junebug/chartreuse or 2" curl tail grubs in black blue/chartreuse.

Post Thanks / Like

prob hard to go wronge with several packs of southern pro tubes in bright and dark colors, tubes been catchin crappie forever, and can get a good variety of colors for pretty affordable......SOFT PLASTIC BAITS ..............look at the diy plastic section also some very talented guys on here.....snakerivers shad stingers have quickly become my favorite.....

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast