Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Moving to Columbia in April!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Moving to Columbia in April!

Have been in central Florida since early December and have really enjoyed the crappie fishing in the Harris Chain Of Lakes. NOw looking at somewhere new. Where would anyone recommend to get a few crappie close to Columbia. Have heard about Osage and possibly the Mo. river in Jeff city, just no specifics. Will be in that area 13 weeks....wife is a travel nurse. Have a boat and 'lectronics and about 30 years of experence from all over the states. Would like to get together with a few and fish/bs to get to know the people and the area.
    Thanks
    Dusty
    A gun in hand is a lot better than a cop on the phone.

Post Thanks / Like

center,

There is a lake about 1 hour North of Columbia-Thomas Hill. I have never fished it but I know it is the home lake for a few members here. there is a small lake just east of Columbia off the Lake of the Woods exit. It is a conservation lake called Turkey Farm Lake. 12 acres so bank fishing only but have done some good there off the bank. crappie, bass, bluegill. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Turkey Farm

Back when I was in Columbia and worked at Mizzou, that lake was closed to the public (early to mid 90's). I knew the Turkey Farm manager and he let me know where the key to the gate was hidden, so I could drive all the way down to it and drop my canoe in and fish it all to myself. I could catch 50-100 bass per day in that lake, but they were mostly stunted ones (we used to call them "clones"). Then the Conservation Dept. took over the management of it and made it public and walk in only. I tried it once after that and it wasn't as good as it was a couple years before that.

After my friend graduated and left, the new farm manager (who lived across the road) got arrested for flattening the tires of people who parked in the parking lot. That is until, a "sting" went down and they posted agents inside a darkened van- he went and flattened their tires and the agents jumped out or the van and arrested him! Needless to say, he didn't work for MU very much longer.

Lake Ozark Fan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by centerdriver
    Have been in central Florida since early December and have really enjoyed the crappie fishing in the Harris Chain Of Lakes. NOw looking at somewhere new. Where would anyone recommend to get a few crappie close to Columbia. Have heard about Osage and possibly the Mo. river in Jeff city, just no specifics. Will be in that area 13 weeks....wife is a travel nurse. Thanks
    Dusty
    Thomas Hill,! heading north, from what I hear is very good. You are not that far from Lake of the Ozarks, about 75 minutes south. Have fun!