Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trolling Motor

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling Motor

Anyone have any good or bad experiences with a Minn Kota TM with Power Drive and Auto Pilot?

Post Thanks / Like

I was asking the same thing the other day. I hope someone has some good advice . I have never used the powerdrive version of TM. But I gonna have to get a new TM in teh next few weeks to go on my new boat . Hope everyone gives both of us some help.

Not to cloud your subject, has anyone ever used the Motor Guide TM with the remote foot control. If so list the pro's and con's . Really leaning toward the Auto Pilot too just need some feedback before dropping the bomb on the wifey. $$$$$$$$
    Jesus Saves!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I get them in my shop all the time. Lots of broken mounts, and loose sloppy bushings.

The motor itself is as good as ever, and no problems with the steering components, they just need to beef up the mounting system IMO. Most are getting broken while in the "stow position" and running rough water, the mount just can't stand the pounding.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the salt water version with 70 something lbs. I've run in some rough water, 2-5 foot swells and never had it break any mounts. As far as the fish ability of it, I love it. The auto pilot is a dream when I'm bream fishing or crappie fishing. I set the auto pilot and the adjust the speed it will follow the straight line set at the intended speed. I can flip slow troll and never have to worry about boat direction. Also when the current or wind is strong I can set the auto pilot, then adjust the speed so that the boat will sit in the same position. If the back end of the boat begins to tail around the motor automaticaly adjust itself to swing it back in line. My intentions were to buy the remote, but they were out of stock. Since I have been using it I don't really see the need, because it works so well, hands free anyway. If you plan to buy, buy big. The only mistake I made was buying the biggest they had at the time and it was to small( around 60 some lbs.), but right after I got that one they upgraded the lbs and they allowed me to trade up and pay the difference. I hope you get what makes you happy.
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Post Thanks / Like

i growed up on a foot control and can't make the switch to the remote. or maybe its just some kind of "control issue" i have????course if i had the nerve to buy one, i'd learn to adjust! most of the guys i've seen win the tournaments i lost use them! slowtrollin...they can't be beat!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Auto pilot

Have had 3 different ones on last 3 boats I owned, no problems, auto pilot is the greatest invention since pockets on a shirt.
    Would not be without one, the remote,called co-pilot, is great especially if you fish by your self,works from any where in the boat, will turn the motor as fast as the foot control. In fact I have my foot control unhooked and stored in a dry compartment,not sure I could find it. Any way just my opinion.
    possum1
    possum1
    Jack Mullins
    Psalms 46:1

Post Thanks / Like

Default Minn Kotas

Quote Originally Posted by Corn Cob
    Anyone have any good or bad experiences with a Minn Kota TM with Power Drive and Auto Pilot?
    I got my auto pilot three years ago. I do a lot of slow trolling for stripers and crappie and it's the best thing since sliced bread. When I first got it, it started going crazy and I had two compasses replaced, under warranty of course, but the last two and a half years I have had no problems at all. Minn Kota had a problem with their compasses back then but I finally got a good one I guess.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Corn Cob
    They are GREAT!!
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling Moter

Ran One 2-3 Yrs. [year Around] No Problems ---
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Minn Kota Auto Pilot Has Flaw

Just wanted to let u know about my problems with my TM My first aoto pilot had trouble with the compass this is not fun when u fish with 8 rods at one time buy your self and you are trying reel and net your fish at the same time. I lost this TM on Lake Wylie SC in rough water fishing Crappie USA tourn. (allways slide collar down on shaft new and old style TM) My second TM allso has trouble with the compass but is still on my boat and not on the bottom of a lake! Minn Kota has a great idea with the auto pilot feature but they need to fix this flaw. Allmost every auto pilot owner i talk to on the lake has had this problem with thair auto pilot I wish another TM company would come out with a AP and fix this problem. Hope this helps you Good Luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast