Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: powder coat for jigs?

Post Thanks / Like

Default powder coat for jigs?

I've been tying flies and jigs since I was a little kid. I have never used the powder coat, but have read the different techniques. I thinking about trying my hand at a few jigs and was wondering how some of you do it. Also with the various techniques is it necessary to buy different types of powder? I'm guessing you do depending on the temp it needs to be heated to. Have any of you used electrostatic powder coat techs? Thanks for the help or suggestions.
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Post Thanks / Like

i've used the regular powder paint. just heat each jig head over a propane torch bout 5-6 seconds, dip in powder, knock off excess and presto! a painted jig head...i tried them against unpainted...couldn't see no advantage so i jusy ty on unpainted heads,lol.

Post Thanks / Like

That's interesting. I've always found that crappie don't have a preference when it comes to jigs with eyes or not. I never checked the difference between colored heads or plain. And I use both, but most of the painted ones are horse heads. Thanks for that info, may save me some trouble.
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Post Thanks / Like

yeah, i've used roadrunner heads for yrs.,thought red was the best color. got me a mold and started making my own...found out unpainted was good as red heads!!!i've come to conclusion that body color is all i need to experiment with.

Post Thanks / Like

I usually use the gas stove on a low heat. After you dip the jig head into the paint put if over the heat again for a second or two. Then put it on a paper plate and continue with your painteing. I use a old leatherman or needlenose pliers and hold the jig by the hook next to the back part of the jig body. If you are married you might want to ask the wife if its ok. Sometimes if can get a little messy.

Dave Townsend
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

yeah, but even if she says its okay, she'll still tell every body how that scar got on the kitchen floor! (i think it gives the place character)