Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Spinning Rod & Reel Combo??

Post Thanks / Like

Question Best Spinning Rod & Reel Combo??

Lookin' to buy a couple rod and reel set-ups this year for casting sliders, Roadrunners, and 1/32 oz. jigs and small corks. Don't know which length or action to go with. I'm partial to the 6.6 to 7 footers because I can cast farther and get a better hook set with the cork and jig.
    I'm wondering if an ultralight would be to light or should I go with a little stiffer action?
    I mainly vertical jig fish but like casting also. What is your favorite set-up for casting?
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 7'6" ozark with a pfleuger president for casting,it also works awful well as a jigpole in close quaters.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool bandit ...

I'm currently using a 6' 6" ESP Series Power Lite rod with a Shimano Aero 1000 for casting jigs. Rod is IM6 High Modulus Graphite / fast action.
    When I consider using FnF or jig/float method ... I generally go with either my 8' BnM IM6 Duckworth FnF outfit, or my 9' ESP Series IM6 Power Jig outfit. The FnF rod has a med lite action & parabolic arch ... while the ESP Power Jig rod has a fast action.
    When considering casting Roadrunners ... I've put together an outfit for that specific purpose. I'm using a 7' Bionic Blade Med action rod / Shimano Spirex 2000 reel / PowerPro 10/2 hi-vis braid.

:D I have a habit of mixing/matching, switching my rods & reels around to make different outfits for different techniques ... and even for use on different lakes. I wouldn't hesitate to use any one of the four I listed, as a "all purpose" outfit. But, that being said, I prefer to have different lengths & actions ... so that I can adapt/adjust to various conditions/situations. Other than the Bionic Blade/PowerPro outfit ... all the others have 4# test mono, for casting 1/32-1/16oz jigheads w/plastics.

Personally, I'm beginning to favor a little stiffer action rod, over what I used to use, which was a 7' Sam Heaton Signature Series IM6 (parabolic bend). Nothing against the SH rod ... but, I'm thinking the stiffer action rods give me more control over the fish, especially big fish, while not being any heavier to handle.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I might suggest you take a look at the BnM 7' Sam Heaton super sensitive and a Shimano Sedona 500 series reel. I throw jigs and grubs about 90 percent of the time and would not consider another outfit.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER!!!
    I QUIT FISHIN, I ONLY GO CATCHIN NOW!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 10ft. sam heaton and pfluger reel. no.2 tony edger sig. series and pfluger reel. usually have one in each hand.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you would also be happy with a Wally Marshall mighty lite 7ft 1pc, paired with a president. IMO Both are very good for what you describe.
    Fish like your hungry!

Post Thanks / Like

I have two G Loomis IMX 6' 6" rods for casting jigs, one is light and the other is ultra light. If i had it to do over both would be ultra light. I think the reels are 1000 size Shimanos.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by justinp61 View Post
    I have two G Loomis IMX 6' 6" rods for casting jigs, one is light and the other is ultra light. If i had it to do over both would be ultra light. I think the reels are 1000 size Shimanos.

I have the same two rods and love them both. I like the light for casting roadrunners and verticle fishing 1/8 and 1/4oz heads, but much prefer the ultra light tip for verticle fishing 1/32 and 1/16. I had a chance to get them for $100 each or I would not have been able to afford them. With that said if I lost my 6'6 ultralight and had to pay retail I would find a way.
    Fish like your hungry!

Post Thanks / Like

I like a 7' light action for casting.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

What's your budget? 1 piece or 2 piece? How important is weight?
    Good things come to those who bait.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast