Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Some salt action

Post Thanks / Like

Default Some salt action

Picked up 9 specs and a red. The specks ranged from about 15 inches to 21 inches and the red was 24 inches. All specks caught on a H&H queen cocahoe in avocado, Bayou Chub Avocado w/ chart tail, and S/W Assassin opening night curly/paddle tail with chartreuse dipped back half. The red was caught on a Storm swimmin mullet suspending twitch bait in a murkey green and gold glitter. Got a couple of pics on Facebook, I'll try to get some on here later. Everything was within 250 yards of the shore but most < 100 between Irish Bayou and the Chef Pass rocks.
    The fish are biting somewhere and here I am on the computer again...

Post Thanks / Like

I've been hitting the causeway when I can get out there. Did well a couple of weeks ago. I posted some pics of a few 20+ inch slimy specks.
    Have you tried catching them on a jig pole? Give it a try, it can be done.

Jig Rig
    Ephesians 1:13

Post Thanks / Like

Hit the same spot and picked up 10 more ranging 13" - 18.5". Buddy picked up 4 from 15"-18" and says the biggest of the bunch flipped out of his lap. I'll give him that one since it was his first kayak trip. Been wanting to hit the Causeway, but I've heard that launching nearby is a hassle. I would have been a bang up day to be there or on the tressels Saturday with the calm winds and strong tide.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the catches.. sounds like yall are catching some good fish.
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

I thought I was nutty. Not gon catch me in no yak at the Causeway.........ever. Maybe The Bucket, but no yak.
    Congrats on the catch though...and I'll trade ya for the red.
    Matter of fact, ate FRIED redfish last night. I usually grill 'em on the half shell, but I think I've changed my tune. Some of the best fried fish I've ever had.

later B ran,

Adam

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Adam,

I've seen em out there. At least 8-10 miles out. I wouldn't do it, too old.

It is safe, if the Yak person is prepared.

Jig Rig
    Ephesians 1:13

Post Thanks / Like

The bucket is mighty fine on the river and in the ponds, but truth be told, I'd rather my kayak in the lake than the bucket. The kayak can self bail and I'd wager that I can paddle at least as fast as you can motor. I was never too far from shore, <400 yards, but a good 1.8-1.9 miles from the launch site and never had a worry. I was about 1/2 - 2/3 mile down the 5-mile bridge at night once. Tide was moving too fast to get my lure to the bottom so I went back where the water was slower, but I wasn't worried at all.

Grilled is still my favorite way to prepare a red. I'll have to share a recipie that I've acquired over the years. It's a humdinger. I like to fry trout for guests, but I prefer them seasoned in a pan with onions, garlic, and capers.