Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Round vs Square?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Round vs Square?

I have heard that minnows will stay alive alot longer in a round holding tank than in a square holding tank. Myth or not?

Post Thanks / Like

You know how minnows bunch up in the corner of the bag when you get them? I've noticed they do the same thing in my baitwell. I figure, when the boat is moving around alot and bouncin back and forth that the minnows get slammed up against the sides pretty often. I took some thin plastic sheet and curved it into the corners of the square well to make it so they wouldn't really have anything to slam into. Now that I think about it, they do seem to stay alive a bit longer since I did this.

Short answer for me would be a definite probably.

Skidz

Post Thanks / Like

i only use round, they keep better, in the boat and at home both my tanks are round

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never seen a square minnow bucket or bait tank so I'd say round has it's reasons.:D
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

99.9% of aquariums are rectangular. That should tell you a lot.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink While that may be true .....

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    99.9% of aquariums are rectangular. That should tell you a lot.
    .... aquariums are not generally meant for containing "minnows".

Minnows will tend to try & hide, and the corners of square holding tanks are one place they tend to gravitate to. This bunches them up, as they fight for concealment, and that can cause them stress & injury. Round/rounded holding tanks offer no such concealment opportunities, so the minnows tend to align themselves along the bottom/side edges, but more evenly spaced around the perimeter of the tank. While the round tanks are not always "necessary" for use with minnows, they are much more desirable for other baitfish species ... especially Shad, which are much more active & stress prone.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Can't say

I brought minnows back from Ky Lake in March. I put them in a square chest freezer in the garage with a pump from an aquarium. I fished with them until I ran out in July.
    The only thing better than a day of fishing.Is a week of fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about minners, but I heard of a guy dying in a round barn, trying to find a corner to pee in..

Post Thanks / Like

Was waiting for thay one... agree about needing a round container for shad. several times was with my friend who netted some smallish (2- 3") shad, some went into my round bucket, his was square, his beat themselves to death in the corners rather quickly, next trip he had gotten a round bucket.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Minnows and bream will keep in a square container but for long term I'd use round. I think it stresses 'em less in a round container. Herring and shad wont last hardly anytime in a square container as they'll injure and kill themselves running into the corners.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast