PDA

View Full Version : First time without Dad ... 11/13/10

FBM357
11-14-2010, 08:45 PM
Firstly, this was the 3rd toughest day in my LIFE!!!! (behind the passing of my Mom and Dad) I desperately needed some time (since my Dad passed last month) and usually when that happens, I go fishing! Needless to say, Dad was my fishing partner as well.

Anyways, as promised, I took some photos while on the water. Weather was really nice (brisk in the 50's and sunny). Water temp (I didn't bring my fish finder) was COLD!!! I managed to catch 2 Yellow Perch, 5 Crappie and 20 Bluegills and 2 bass. Arrived to the lake at 7:00am. Only caught 2 perch and 2 bluegills within the span of 30 mins. Didn't catch a thing until 3:30pm! Left around 5:00pm.

Caught the Crappies and Bass using Garland Bleeding Shad and Crystal Baby Shad. Yellow Perch caught using minnows. Bluegills caught using worm. All fish were caught trolling and/or drifting.

Didn't take pictures of my catch, but lake pics instead....

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z163/fbm357/DSC03007.jpg
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z163/fbm357/DSC03006.jpg
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z163/fbm357/DSC03005.jpg
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z163/fbm357/DSC03004.jpg

buffalo13
11-14-2010, 09:14 PM
Looks like your Dad was still your fishing partner that day..
May God bless you in your loss..
Glad you got out, you know that is what he would want you to do.
Hang in there.

majflyboy
11-14-2010, 09:23 PM
Sorry you lost your dad, we all will. Good you have fond memories of him as your fishing buddy.

Special K
11-14-2010, 09:50 PM
I know the feeling very well my friend... as I too have lost both parents. It is definitely a feeling like no other.
One can only find comfort in their sweet memories and knowing that heaven is even sweeter with them there.
Be at peace my brother: You can be sure that one day... you will be with them (again) in the kingdom of heaven.

barus243
11-14-2010, 11:32 PM
I know the feeling all to well. I lost my dad last year and it has been tough. We never did go fishing all that much however we spent most of our time working on building and restoring cars. Since he passed I haven't hardly been able to drive any of the classics that we so lovingly restored.

revtoby
11-14-2010, 11:42 PM
God bless you bro.....sorry for your loss.

gabowman
11-14-2010, 11:48 PM
Had to be a tough day but I'm sure your Dad was looking down on you with a big 'ole smile across his face.:o Memories are precious and in the end that's all we have. And it sounds like you and your Dad had many special times shared on the lake.

STUMP HUNTER
11-15-2010, 08:44 AM
Sorry to hear of your loss. I can't think of better pics you could have posted of your day on the lake.
My dad passed away in 85 and I thought I would never see him again. The older I get the more I see him. Each morning when I look in the mirror I see a little more of him, in me.
Thoughts are with you.

FBM357
11-15-2010, 12:52 PM
Brothers (and I do mean BROTHERS - EVERYONE!!!), I'd like to thank all of you for the words and support! Thought I'd never stop crying!!! I cried so much, I think the water level in the entire lake rose another inch!!! After all said and done, I honestly think it was too soon for me to do it. Really messed me up. Kept looking for him. Even when we aren't in the same boat (he has his own there as well), I kept looking for him to show up. I was the only one out there and he wasn't to be found. I just kept looking. I'm still looking...........

Bronson
11-15-2010, 01:07 PM
You know he's still there because you can feel him in your heart. He was very blessed to have a son who cared so much for him. A great testimony to what kind of man he was. You'll always be connected and he'll always be with you. Best!

hair jig
11-15-2010, 01:33 PM
I lost my dad when i was 15 but i learned so much about fishing in those short few years. He was a great fisherman but GOD had a better plan for him just keep him
in you're thoughts and remember the good times. A pass it on to you're kids and grandkids keep the legacy alive GOD BLESS!!!

bee
11-15-2010, 01:43 PM
Thank you for Shareing. My Dad had been gone for 25 yrs. It seems there are always things one would like to share. Find myself saying things like Wouldn,t Dad have liked this. Again thanks and keep fishing with Dad in mind.

feelay
11-15-2010, 02:06 PM
Count your blessings for having a Dad that spent time with you. Not all of us were so lucky.

roybuoy
11-15-2010, 02:12 PM
I know your pain all to well .Lost my Dad 6 years ago and a great fishing partner.I still keep one of his rods in my boat all the time.I get it out and fish with it from time to time.Silly I guess but it helps me deal with it.Sorry for your loss.

FBM357
11-15-2010, 02:49 PM
I've his fishing equipment ... the other day I came across a rod and reel he gave me after I learned how to use a spinner... Reel = Mitchell 308 Sweet reel!!!! When I was growing up, my Dad custom built fishing rods. He'd buy mostly Fenwick and other brand blanks and I'd help him out. He had 2 rollers (looked like wheels from roller skates) which he'd lay the blank across. Carefully mark where he'd begin wrapping his guides. Applied small piece of scotch tape to hold the twine....begin wrapping and later cut the little excess piece with a razor blade. Then apply epoxy to dry. Remember like it was yesterday!!!!

As a little boy, I couldn't wait to hear that wake-up voice in the wee early morning....'Hey Son, you wanna go fishing?' ... Half sleep, I'd put on my clothes and go with him. Very rarely would he tell me the night before. Was always a surprise!!! I even went ice fishing with him!!!!

The only person that loved fishing more than I was my Dad!!!! Not only did I love fishing, I LOVED FISHING WITH MY DAD!!!

Whenever I'd get backlash/tangled, he'd pick the knot. When it happened as I got a little older, he told me to pick it myself. Most times I'd cry because he'd still be fishing and catching fish while I grew frustrated with picking the knot!!! He always said....Son, take your time! Pay attention to what you're doing and you'll get it. If you don't you'll make it worse. Eventually he'd help after noticing me struggle out of frustration! It's been so many years since I've experienced that kind of frustration as I can pick a knot virtually with my eyes closed!!!!

He always snelled his own hooks. He even cast his own sinker molds (we do Freshwater and Saltwater fishing) - melting lead and using the different size moldings. He molded a few several days before he passed as he went Saltwater fishing that Monday!.

Rarely have I ever seen him get 'skunked'. He'd fish often and most of all, he fished HARD!!! If he were after Crappies and they weren't bitting, he'd drop a line with minnow, put that rod down, grab another and rig it for Bluegills. Grab another and rig it for Catfish. Grab another and jig! All of this buying time til the Crappies started bitting (usually early morning and late evening)

When we're together, we always had a ....Remember when ..... moment. Oh how I wish there were more!!!

cajun fryer
11-15-2010, 02:53 PM
Your dad was there he just wasn't in the boat this time. He will always be with you.

skeetbum
11-16-2010, 09:11 AM
You know he's still there because you can feel him in your heart. He was very blessed to have a son who cared so much for him. A great testimony to what kind of man he was. You'll always be connected and he'll always be with you. Best!

X2
You have no idea how fortunate you are. My Dad and I never really got along. He instilled in me a deep seated love of the outdoors and a respect for the land. I think I can count the fishing trips that he and I had together on my hands. Find comfort in the memories that you have of the time that you had together. Not everyone has a wealth like that. Remember that he watches and waits for you, and that he is always there to talk to. He just doesn't answer much these days.

DrJohn
11-16-2010, 09:16 AM
That's a beautiful fishing hole. Sorry to hear of your loss. Glad you have great memories of fishing with your dad!

Mrs. Crappie Stalker
11-16-2010, 02:18 PM
It's hard to get back out there without him, for sure. My fishing buddies were always my husband and my dad. After we lost Dad in 95, Paul or I didn't pick up a fishing pole for almost a year and the first time we went to Reelfoot without him, it hurt so much we couldn't stay out. Still miss him and every time I'm on the water I think of him and how much he would enjoy it.

FBM357
11-16-2010, 03:14 PM
It's hard to get back out there without him, for sure. My fishing buddies were always my husband and my dad. After we lost Dad in 95, Paul or I didn't pick up a fishing pole for almost a year and the first time we went to Reelfoot without him, it hurt so much we couldn't stay out. Still miss him and every time I'm on the water I think of him and how much he would enjoy it.

That's why I feel as though I went too soon. I really hadn't given it too much thought at the time because I've been extremely busy (cleaning parents house etc.) and was in need of a break. Now I feel as though I can't handle going fishing anytime soon. Perhaps with colder weather and winter approaching, it's a good thing. Then again there's hunting :( Hurts really bad when I think about being on the water that day (11/13). Just kept looking for him.....

skeetbum
11-16-2010, 03:29 PM
I'm not overly Religious but I want you to remember these words that we've heard a hundred times; If God led you to it, then He'll lead you through it. You were lead to fish that day, have faith.

scottyc
11-16-2010, 04:16 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss, I went throught the same thing 5 years ago, I'm thankful to have a picture by my bed of him on our last fishing trip, things get better in time

Jake
11-16-2010, 11:29 PM
I too am sorry for your loss. My Dad took me fishing as a boy. He passed almost 10 years ago, and my Mom before him. Now my next best buddy, my wife has "Terminal Cancer." We have fished together for almost 20 years. She may have two or less years here with me, but often, cannot get out of the house.

The loss of your Dad will hurt. Nothing anyone can say will take the pain away. Things the went poorly, as often does with a father and son, cannot be corrected or changed. Those need to be forgotten. Fathers love their children no matter what. The good times need to be cherished and remembered. Do not try and forget them or put them out of your mind. Those are what made you and what your father wants you to remember with joy. What has happened, was designed for you, just as what is going to happen is designed for others. Time will lessen the pain, it is normal to grieve your loss. We can try to be strong, but there will be weak moments. Do not be ashamed, they will help you to cope with the loss. Gradually, those times will be further apart and you will heal.

My freuqent prayers will be with you.

debnhair
11-17-2010, 12:10 AM
So very sorry about your dad! He was very special to teach you how to fish! The lake looked so peacefull on that day!:)