Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: ? for all long-liners

Post Thanks / Like

Default ? for all long-liners

I have heard both ways about using braid for long-lining, most say no if my memory is correct, but it seems to me it would be easier to get a light jig farther down in the water. So you long-liners give me your take. Also do you like a stiffer rod like an IM8 or a softer tip of maybe an IM6?
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

What brand and what length rod etc. do you longliners like to use?
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

i use b&m. i pull a 8' , 10' and a12' off of each side. soft tip jig poles work great for jigs but you might want trollers for crankbaits.
    no braid for me i just don't like the stuff.
    Yodibuzz

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Fish are going to tangle some lines together. It's just going to happen and when ti does it might cause you to break a few lines to get things straightened out again. Ever try to get tangles out of that small diameter braid before?!? With a good set of eyes it might can be done but notm with mine.:o
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gabowman View Post
    Fish are going to tangle some lines together. It's just going to happen and when ti does it might cause you to break a few lines to get things straightened out again. Ever try to get tangles out of that small diameter braid before?!? With a good set of eyes it might can be done but notm with mine.:o
    Had not thought of that and my eyes are not that good.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, I'm going to 30lb braid on all my pulling and spider rigging rods. Will let you know how I like it.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

All we use is 6lb. mono for long lining jigs. Braid for crank baits.
    Bobby Garland Pro Staff Bass Pro Shop Pro Staff
    Hi-Tek Pro Staff
    Denali Rods Pro Staff Road Runner Pro Staff
    K2 Coolers Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input. I guess I should clarify, by long-lining I mean pulling jigs, call pulling CB pulling. Bo, why the difference, I can understand using braid for CB's but why not with jigs? Which reels do you use for both. Scott and I were pulling CB's in the same general area as Bernard Sat., even saw him catch one, but we didn't and he said we would have needed to be pulling 120' of mono to reach the fish. I have braid on 2 of my pulling rods and mono on the other 2, guess I need some more braid, I sure hate what it sounds like going thru the guides on my rods.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Hey Steve ....

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
    I sure hate what it sounds like going thru the guides on my rods.
    I know what you mean about the "buzzzz" sound, of braid thru some guides. It's why I don't use it on some of my rods. What type guides do your rods have .... there seems to be much less "noise", from the braid going thru the guides, if you have ceramic insert guides. Even though the braid won't hurt a metal/alloy guide, it does seem to create more of that annoying buzz when using braid with them. (from my experience, anyway)

... cp