Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Trailer bunk help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trailer bunk help

I noticed today that one of my trailer bunk boards was split and sagging. The other side isn't split but there is a gap between the boat and bunk where the bunk is sagging. I have a few questions. My span between supports is further than what I thought so would using 2x6s work better? Also can I just use treated wood or do you guys find marine boards?

Thanks
    HOOKED-FISHING.COM CDC PROUD SPONSOR
    B'n'M Pro Staff
    Bobby Garland Crappie Baits Pro Staff
    Outdoor Writer

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Treated wood is what I've always used and seen used. 2x6 would do fine as long as it fits between the ribs if it's a metal boat, no problem with glass. Plastic is also available, but I believe it would be prone to sag. If you have a metal boat, you can also use plastic sliders that go on top of the bunk and your boat will slide easy beyond belief. You can not take off the bow rope when backing down the ramp or you will drop the boat on the ramp causing big damage. That said also know that loading is a breeze with no drag from the carpet. Pick your lumber to be straight and with as few knots as possible and it wont twist or warp as much as the knotty stuff will.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I have a glass boat, 2008 that has a trailer that doesn't seem right for the boat. It is a triton but I think they haven't beefed it up enough. Maybe using 2x6s will help sturdy it. I have seen those bunk glides, and have seen boats slide off them at the ramp. Thanks for the help.
    HOOKED-FISHING.COM CDC PROUD SPONSOR
    B'n'M Pro Staff
    Bobby Garland Crappie Baits Pro Staff
    Outdoor Writer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    Treated wood is what I've always used and seen used. 2x6 would do fine as long as it fits between the ribs if it's a metal boat, no problem with glass. Plastic is also available, but I believe it would be prone to sag. If you have a metal boat, you can also use plastic sliders that go on top of the bunk and your boat will slide easy beyond belief. You can not take off the bow rope when backing down the ramp or you will drop the boat on the ramp causing big damage. That said also know that loading is a breeze with no drag from the carpet. Pick your lumber to be straight and with as few knots as possible and it wont twist or warp as much as the knotty stuff will.
    You are right about the slides. I have them on mine and it will slide off very easy.
    Carter

“Within the covers of the Bible are all the answers for all the problems men face."
    Ronald Reagan