Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: First time fishing without DAD ... 11/13/2010 pics

Post Thanks / Like

Default First time fishing without DAD ... 11/13/2010 pics

Firstly, this was the 3rd toughest day in my LIFE!!!! (behind the passing of my Mom and Dad) I desperately needed some time (since my Dad passed last month) and usually when that happens, I go fishing! Needless to say, Dad was my fishing partner as well.

Anyways, as promised, I took some photos while on the water. Weather was really nice (brisk in the 50's and sunny). Water temp (I didn't bring my fish finder) was COLD!!! I managed to catch 2 Yellow Perch, 5 Crappie and 20 Bluegills and 2 bass. Arrived to the lake at 7:00am. Only caught 2 perch and 2 bluegills within the span of 30 mins. Didn't catch a thing until 3:30pm! Left around 5:00pm.

Caught the Crappies and Bass using Garland Bleeding Shad and Crystal Baby Shad. Yellow Perch caught using minnows. Bluegills caught using worm. All fish were caught trolling and/or drifting.

Didn't take pictures of my catch, but lake pics instead....

Post Thanks / Like

Sound's like you caught a nice mess of fish ! It's very hard to lose a parent I'm so sorry for your loss . There will be brighter day's ahead

Post Thanks / Like

Very sorry to hear of your loses, That looks like a great lake to take off and just have some fun with some panfish.
    I trying to get a idea where it might be? Looks like plenty of structure on the edges... Enjoy your future times on the lake.
    I'm going to take a look at the Garland shads you mentioned, Can't have enough lures... It least thats what I tell my wife !!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EddieRod View Post
    Very sorry to hear of your loses, That looks like a great lake to take off and just have some fun with some panfish.
    I trying to get a idea where it might be? Looks like plenty of structure on the edges... Enjoy your future times on the lake.
    I'm going to take a look at the Garland shads you mentioned, Can't have enough lures... It least thats what I tell my wife !!
    Eddie, I see you're located in Syracuse. The pictures are from a lake in Westchester County (Yorktown Heights to be exact ) Plenty of Crappies, Gills, some Yellow Perch and of all things... LARGEMOUTH BASS!!! Early spring and beginning of summer (i.e. spawning) is when the action is hot! Plenty of cover and structure to fish. In the back lake (yes, there's two .. they're connected via a winding canal and when the water is low, from lack of rain, it's difficult to row thru) is where there's a lot of structure.

I remember many years ago, taking my brother fishing with me (he isn't a fisherman) ... I fished while he had me chasing turtles for him to take home and put in his fishtank...:p Anyways, there use to be an old bridge that went from one side of the back lake to the other. I've never witnessed or seen it standing as long as I've been fishing this lake (bout 30 years), but on that day, the water was crystal clear. I looked down and noticed a huge fallen tree stump and parts of said bridge. What really caught my eye were the huge number of fish swimming around it!

Whenever I'm fishing up there, I always head to the areas where this bridge once stood. Really easy to get snagged on some of the iron poles that are still there. Submerged, but you can see the top of em about 4 ft. down. Anyways, majority of the time, the Crappies can be found in this area. If not early, definitely later in the day ... Especially during early and late spring.

Really good Crappie fishing in the resevoirs as well. Dad has a boat in Amawalk Resevoir (Westchester County). Plenty of bass, but I've seen some huge crappies caught in certain parts of it as well. God willing, I will remember to take some pics when I go there as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear about your dad, but remember weeping may endure for a night but joy comes in the morning.
    Luke:5
    6And when they had this done, they inclosed a great multitude of fishes: and their net brake.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for your loss and would love to hear about one of your best trips you can remimber with your dad. Every fisherman has a story to tell about a great fish or trip. So lets hear about the good times you had together.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry about your loss, but I think you found a good way to remember your dad. For the tough times that life hands us, I find that a little time on the water can work miracles.