Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Long Rod Test

Post Thanks / Like

Default Long Rod Test

How often do we hear "I bought a new (X-Brand) rod and it broke"? Is there a standard testing method to insure the durability of buying a new or used long rod? Would it be correct to tie fishing line to the reel and run the line through the line guides and leaving X (or half the length of the rod) amount of feet of line to be attached to X (so many ounces) amount of weight. With this setup, if you are able to lift the weight off the ground a few inches, then it would be a rod worth investing in. Do you think rod manufactures would go for a test like this? I think some times rod damage has occured before we ever take it out of the store or to the lake. Just a thought.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nightprowler64 View Post
    Do you think rod manufactures would go for a test like this? I think some times rod damage has occured before we ever take it out of the store or to the lake. Just a thought.
    English rod makers already use a similar method called the "test curve". They hold the rod parallel to the ground and tie a weight to the tip. If the weight pulls the tip of the rod perpendicular to the floor, that is the "test curve" of the rod. A light rod has a test curve of a few ounces whereas a heavy carp or pike rod will have a 3 or 4 pound test curve. The test curve of the typical crappie rod would measure in ounces.

As you say, I think many rods are damaged before you buy them. The blanks are thin, and they're being shipped from China, so some are bound to be damaged during the shipping process.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I've yet to pop one. I know that I will one day and I hope it's a long ways off. Sounds like a good Idea you have and might help in the R&D part but I don't think a store test would get done without fireworks.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

i like b&m but its the only rod i`ve broke ,and i own 4 other brands of crappie rods,just saying

Post Thanks / Like

I cant speak for all brands out there but most just go with the line / lure ratings, and if they are rated correctly that's going to be right not to say you cant go under or over said ratings....too far. All our blanks are inspected and deflected before they are shipped to us, then I personally check them again. The last step is spining the rod blank before building. Our rods are higher priced yes,...but do the others perform these critical steps?
    "Never Fry Bacon Naked"

Post Thanks / Like

I've broken more than my share of tips. It's seldom the rod's fault; I'm usually pulling some bone-headed stunt like winding down to a hung-up jig to try to free it and jabbing the tip into the wood. Saving a 10 cent jig this way doesn't make sense, but I hate to re-ty I've yet to break a rod fighting a crappie, walleye, perch, bass, or bluegill. Stripers, though......