Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aluminum boat advice

Post Thanks / Like

Default Aluminum boat advice

I am wanting to uprade from my 21 yr old Lowe. I'm not sure what to get, but I need an all around fishing boat. I would like to have a bigger boat but i'm limited to a 50hp because of the lake I fish most. I do occasionally troll but will be casting mostly. Any advice on a new rig? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

It will all depend on what you like and your style! I own a 1860 Deluxe G3 and love it. The only thing is I wished it had a little more storage but went last week looking at new and different ones and came back satisfied with what I have. There are many good aluminum boats out there! The one thing I thought about when I bought was expense to keep up down the road! I researched motors, carpet vs. vinyl, etc. Take your time and make sure you are satisfied and happy before you purchase.....its an investment you want to be happy and have fun in...not wishin you would have done something different! Good Luck and let us know what you decide?
    An ungrateful man is like hog under a tree eating acorns, but never looking up to see where they come from!

Post Thanks / Like

find the boat shows and go to them and u will find the one u want

Post Thanks / Like

I would agree MePreach and blueball. Alumacraft and Tracker have some good looking aluminum boat configurations from which to choose.
    I was real tempted by both manufacturers when I (lucked up) and came across the one I have now (used). I am most of all relieved that I
    did chose not to go into that huge debt for an expensive boat in this economy; but was able to pay cash for mine and then totally restore mine to
    exactly what I wanted. The boat shows in the late winter will sure make your mouth water though... I know I was very impressed and tempted by them.
    "Just Like Iron Sharpens Iron... So it is that One Man Sharpens Another Man." Proverbs 27:17

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pros and Cons...

to both glass and alum. I think alum. will weigh less foot for foot and when you are wanting to stay below a certain hp on the motor that might be a factor you want to consider. I have never owned a glass boat, so I can't really critique them. I have an '02 Bass Tracker with a 65/40 jet. I like the peace of mind with the jet and no lower unit to worry about, but for the 17'6" boat, I wish I had more power. The boat max hp rating is 75 hp.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Metal boats tend to blow around some, so I like the side to be as low as practical cutting down the wind signature. My last was a 16' stick steer and it worked well but was high sided and tough to control over about 15mph winds. Went home mostly. If it doesn't have storage, does it have an area where you could put a storage container? A plastic footlocker is waterproof and will hold a bunch. If I buy another aluminum boat it will be an 1860 for stability and comfort. 50hp with tilt and trim would do OK on it but might be a bit underpowered. Climb in it and see how you would like it, like a virtual fishing trip. Don't rush, lots to choose from. Good luck in your search.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Lowe has a new boat out that is set up perfectly for Crappie. Twp live wells both with bait wells. It's the widest aluminum r is boat in it's class. A 17 footer is over 7 ft wide. Two seat posts up front. It's called a Stinger I think. Look it up online.That's my two cents worth. I believe Lowes are far better built than Trackers.

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds to me like you want a boat with casting platforms front and rear since you cast most of the time. Look at the tracker pt 175, (I have one but seldom cast, troll mostly) Mine is rated for a 75hp, have a 60 ELPTO Merc, will do 30 mph easy with no strain on the 60. Should do ok with a 40/50 on it, I got the 60 cause I could for very little more $$ at the time. The only thing about mine I don't like is the rod storage locker being a bit short IMO, but everything else is good for me. Go to their website and you can see the different layouts available, I would assume the other boat makers have a similar function on their website. The tracker comes "ready to fish" as they say, and it true, don't really need anything other than some gas and your tackle. Don't mean to knock other brands, I just don't have any experience with the others, just the pt175.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Good Advice, Hayden,

Lowe has a new boat out that is set up perfectly for Crappie. Twp live wells both with bait wells. It's the widest aluminum r is boat in it's class. A 17 footer is over 7 ft wide. Two seat posts up front. It's called a Stinger I think. Look it up online.That's my two cents worth. I believe Lowes are far better built than Trackers.
    Dealer here has an '09 Stinger with 50 HP Mercury (2 cycle), close out price is $12,900. Awesome looking boat, it appears to have as much room in it as my friend's 18 foot Triton! And it is ready to fish, may want to add another fish finder and rod holders if you fish multiple rods, but, it is as good of a deal on a new boat as I've seen in a long time.
    Don't outsmart your common sense!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Im thinking about either a new boat or rebuilding mind again. I like the no-wood Triton, but thinking about rebuilding my 20 year old boat using Azteck man made decking, thus no wood to rot out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast