Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Draining Lake Conway

Post Thanks / Like

Default Draining Lake Conway

I see in the paper today that it looks like they will beginning lowering Lake Conway by 4 feet. It's a stop-gap measure to slow down aquatic vegetation and allow property owners to clean out silt. Later I think they will try to drain it and get serious about cleaning out the silt.

I recall in 1980s they nearly drained the lake. The crappie fishing was incredible beginning two or three years after they refilled it. They nearly drained it in 1999, but there was never the expected "return" of good crappie fishing.

Anyone have any thoughts about this latest plan? Can Conway be restored, or is there just too much development around it? Do lakes eventually just fade away?

Just curious. I've fished it for years but the last few have been less that wonderful.

Post Thanks / Like

I have also fished Conway for many years and have never agreed with the way they drain the lake. They say they drain it for the property owners to clean out, but most of us know, alot of those guys are not "avid" fishermen. They have the house on the lake for a status they like to have and that's about it.
    Just so I don't offend anyone, I am referring to "most" property owners and not all.
    If they really want to clean the silt out of Conway, it will take the AG&F to get involved heavily through the preparation, operation and reconstruction of the lake and its fish.
    Without their help, I am afraid it will be a futile effort. And it is a shame too, because in the early years, Conway offered some of the best Crappie fishing around. But I have to agree with you since the last drawdown, it has never really returned.
    Just my thoughts.........:o
    Midsouth Tackle Pro Staff
    "Home of the Super Jig"

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Default last draw down

Man the last draw down on Conway was awsome ! We caught the fool out of those big flathead catfish then. !
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

LOL..well, that would be akin to catching a catfish in a bucket almost. Lake Atkins has undergone a major rehab. I've been up there a couple of times and the crappie were biting like crazy, but most were pretty small. I suspect it will be really good for the next few years.