Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to use a rod? Looking for ideas.

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to use a rod? Looking for ideas.

I bought some 8ft graphite fly rods from a store close out for $5. I didn't know then , or know how I would use them so give me some ideas. They have the real seat at the end so they won't work in a holder. Have decent action for crappie fishing. They are 5/6 weight rods.
    Fish like your hungry!

Post Thanks / Like

They'd be great for vertical jigging. Also, I'd use at least one to fly fish with.

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Ya find a couple small spinning reals and the would amke a decent little crappie rig. Can't beat the price for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's what I do, just pull the rubber plug out of the back of the fly seat. Then take a broken spinning rod and use the rear grip as an extension...*You will need a Dremmel cutoff wheel to remove the old reel seat. Fit it and if loose shim up with masking tape, Gorilla glue it into the back flush and walla, you have a full grip rod holder adaptable rod for low$$$. Hope this helps.
    "Never Fry Bacon Naked"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Lip RIPPERS View Post
    Here's what I do, just pull the rubber plug out of the back of the fly seat. Then take a broken spinning rod and use the rear grip as an extension...*You will need a Dremmel cutoff wheel to remove the old reel seat. Fit it and if loose shim up with masking tape, Gorilla glue it into the back flush and walla, you have a full grip rod holder adaptable rod for low$$$. Hope this helps.

Thanks! While I don't have any broken rods laying around, it gives me the idea of using some PVC pipe to somehow attach so I can put them in my holders.
    Fish like your hungry!

Post Thanks / Like

think one of the rod holders makers, maybe driftmaster, had a holder for fly rod set ups but not 100% sure.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dongotto View Post
    Thanks! While I don't have any broken rods laying around, it gives me the idea of using some PVC pipe to somehow attach so I can put them in my holders.
    Try these folks www.bridemasterfishingproducts.com they get all of BPS's broke rods and they can sell you some handle assy's for like $5.00 ea. If not I can see if my vendor has some.
    Last edited by The Lip RIPPERS; 11-12-2010 at 02:22 PM. Reason: added
    "Never Fry Bacon Naked"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Lip RIPPERS View Post
    Try these folks www.bridemasterfishingproducts.com they get all of BPS's broke rods and they can sell you some handle assy's for like $5.00 ea. If not I can see if my vendor has some.
    BRIDGEMASTER FISHING PRODUCTS: "The Fisherman's Candy Store"

There...fixed it for ya.

Gman
    We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."

Post Thanks / Like

Not that it matters but the rods are south bend flycast models. 8ft, 5-6 weight. I saw them on Amazon for $19.95. Not much of a rod.
    Fish like your hungry!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Got two old fiberglass flyrods that my Grandfather left me .... auto reels & all. I put the auto reels up (momento's) and use the flyrods. One has a spinning reel, taped to the cork handle ... the other has a small baitcaster reel set in the end reel seat. I generally use them for tightlining or slip corking minnows. I don't have rod holders, so they just lay on the floor of the boat, and stick out over the side, when tied up & tightlining. When slip corking, I use the one with the spinning reel. I've caught some real nice fish using these outfits, back in the day. I don't take them with me, anymore ... got too many other outfits, that are 7-9ft long, that I use for all the methods I care to use. But, back before I had any rods longer than 7ft .... those flyrod outfits put fish in the boat !! (and they were doing that very thing ... since back in the 1950's)

If you have a rod holder that's made to hold the rod by the end of the handle, and the reel is out in front of the end of the holder forks .... tape a reel to the middle of the cork handle, and you've got yourself some cheap outfits for tightlining/drifting/spiderrigging/slip floating/whatever. If your flyrods won't work in your rod holders .... tape a reel to the handle & use them "in hand", to vertical jig, cast, slip float, or whatever The Crappie don't care .... they ain't interested in what you got in your hand/holder, they're just interested in what you got on the end of your line ... LOL !!!

... cp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast