Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US REEL 180sx

Post Thanks / Like

Default US REEL 180sx

Have you ever fished with one? Local sporting goods store has them on sale for $55 marked down from $140. Seems like a good deal.
    Fish like your hungry!

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard mixed reviews on the US reels. I'd rather spend $55 on a Shimano.

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I know a few guys who use them and love them. I also seen Everhart's had a great sale on that model.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never really liked their reels. Always just a little too much for a mediocre reel. I also despise that they call themselves US Reel when all their stuff is made in China. If you really want a wide spool designed reel, BPS has 3 reels in different price ranges, but all of them are cheaper and probably better designed than the Us Reels. They are probably made in the same factory as the US Reels to different specs, but at least they aren't being deceptive about their origin.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Let me give you a couple pro and cons between the bps and us reels. All small reels have a small handle, at least too small for me. With the bps I could not get a larger handle (what I was told) and with the us reel all their handles are interchangeable. If I remember right they were $7 apiece. IF I remember right it was also lighter than bps. Now I have 2 of the 180s and they have worked flawlessly. Two years now. You couldn't ask for a better drag, I have landed many cats up to 15# with them and the drag is smooth as can be. And for crappie I only use 4# line, mono & flouro. After a few trips of running in ruff water, 50 to 60mph in 2 to 3 foot waves I do have to re-tighten the drag, it will loosen up a little. The wide spool really helps with using flouro. I only use mine for drop shotting, I do make a few cast with it but mostly just vertical. So for constant casting I cant help you. So the over all performance, it has been a pretty good reel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brushnjigs View Post
    Let me give you a couple pro and cons between the bps and us reels. All small reels have a small handle, at least too small for me. With the bps I could not get a larger handle (what I was told) and with the us reel all their handles are interchangeable. If I remember right they were $7 apiece. IF I remember right it was also lighter than bps. Now I have 2 of the 180s and they have worked flawlessly. Two years now. You couldn't ask for a better drag, I have landed many cats up to 15# with them and the drag is smooth as can be. And for crappie I only use 4# line, mono & flouro. After a few trips of running in ruff water, 50 to 60mph in 2 to 3 foot waves I do have to re-tighten the drag, it will loosen up a little. The wide spool really helps with using flouro. I only use mine for drop shotting, I do make a few cast with it but mostly just vertical. So for constant casting I cant help you. So the over all performance, it has been a pretty good reel.
    I talked with a local guide last night that uses them and like you he said thier drag was second to none? So, mixed reviews it indeed, but for the price I think I'll buy one and give it a shot. If I don't like it I can always use it for slow trolling.
    Fish like your hungry!

Post Thanks / Like

What is the best economically priced reel for slow trolling?

Post Thanks / Like

I have 3 us reels 1 240 and 2 180's, I also have 1 of the bps reels like them all. I gave around $50-$60 for mine I would not buy one for $100 but I paid over $100 for a shimano and did not like it, do not own it any more. I like a large diameter spool and the shimano's was too narrow for me and it had a "rub" in it, took it back, got a new one 2 weeks later same "rub".
    just my opinion line doesnt "kink-up" as much with a large diameter spool.
    Minnermatics Prostaff
    My wife lets me buy all the rods and reels I can hide.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chodie1 View Post
    What is the best economically priced reel for slow trolling?
    I don't know about the best, but I bought some High Tek sprinning reels from Grizzly Jig for $7 and they work fine on my pinnacle limit rods. Brings the total for a 12ft combo to $20, and actually works quite well. Good way to put together a set for the average guy without a lot of investment.
    Fish like your hungry!

Post Thanks / Like

I love my 180sx for casting light weight tackle, now granted I almost never fish that way, but I've thrown some 1/16 ounce roadrunners a long way with it, used 6 lb yozuri line.

only use full size bait casters for slow trolling, bought mine at Grizzly for 25 bucks a piece.
    I clever quip fishing ironic statement crappie!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast