Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stinger 175 porpise at full speed...what can I do?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stinger 175 porpise at full speed...what can I do?

Lowe Stinger 175 with 60 Merc 4 stroke.

At full speed (35 mph by speedo) my boat will porpise. When I trim the engine all the way down the porpise will stop but my speed is down to 30.

Would a bolt on Stingray help in this situation?

Post Thanks / Like

You might try and move some of the weight in the boat towards the bow. That should help.
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Post Thanks / Like

Had the same problem with my Bee. The dealer added trim wedges between the motor and the jack plate. This helped but the stingray stopped it. Try the stringray first it should help.
    2018 Triton 18TX 115 ProXS 4 Stroke
    4-HDS 9 Touch
    ACC CRAPPIE STIX

Post Thanks / Like

My boat does not have a jack plate.

I cringe at the thought of drilling holes in my shiny black motor.

Post Thanks / Like

Stingrays might help a boat get up on plane, but they will have little effect when running at WOT since they SHOULD be out of the water then. My Aluma-Weld porpoised but the previous owner installed trim tabs on the transom. They can be manually adjusted downward to add a "hook" to the back of the boat and wedge the bow down. These will also lower your speed some if you tilt them down too much. The brand name of mine is "Para-Trim" I believe. They are about 5X4 inches. I have also heard of people JB Welding a strip of aluminum about 1/16 or 1/8 thick on the hull, right in front of the transom. This causes the same effect, but is somewhat permanent.

Post Thanks / Like

My 180w with a 115 would do the same till I added a jackplate, that fixed it right up and gained some top end.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

do you have tilt& trim .or manual trim.
    my boat has a 55 hp evinrudeon a bumblee bee bass boat and it will porpus with the trim to high .it will bog at to low . it will run 30 mph buy G P S. with me alone and 30 with another in the boat . i have a C M C tilt & trim on the boat. i ajust it till it hits the best spot with a load . i had another boat with a 50 hp and had to run it all the way down . it was stick stering and the weight of my 225 in the frunt
    Last edited by papasage; 02-10-2006 at 03:48 AM.
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by krappiekrazy
    Had the same problem with my Bee. The dealer added trim wedges between the motor and the jack plate. This helped but the stingray stopped it. Try the stringray first it should help.
    I have a Stingray as well and won't do without one now.
    NEED MORE COWBELL!!
    JD

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You might also check your motor installation height. The anti cavatation plate on the motor should be within 1" of the bottom of the keel.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

My Procraft did the same thing, especially after I changed the 12 gal fuel tank for a 18 gal. The stingray cured it. Now the nose never tips up, you can go from idle to full throttle and the boat stays level the entire time. Another benefit I have found is that you can trim the motor so that the bow will cut through choppy water instead of busting over it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast