3 5.45%
  • pecil

29 52.73%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: best float

Post Thanks / Like

Question best float

going to bps this weekend and wanted a quick poll to see what yall thing about the best float to you in shollow water with wind and live bait. i plan on picking up several styles but with so many choices, who can pick just one
    Last edited by guest01; 02-09-2006 at 09:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I always use slip floats on ultra lights. I use the skinniest bobber for less resistance. They are also weighted. You can add more weight to adjust the bouyancy of the bobber. If your talking of shallow water I'm guessing your going to fish the spawn, and in that case the bite may be a little more aggressive. So the adjustment may not be needed. The bobber stops I use are in my opinion the best. They are similar to the bone shaped, tiny plastic ones. They have four holes. I typically use three holes threading in and out(not around because as you slide the stop it will twist the line). I Do not use the beads that come with them, they are not necessary. Hope this helps.
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink actually ....

I'm more apt to be using these:

I like the styrofoam ones ... 'cause they're "FREE"
    Actually, I find them floating, on the bank, or hanging in tree branches at several of the lakes I fish. They usually still have the plastic "straw" thingy in them, which I use on the cigar shaped one, pictured above. But, on the pear shaped ones, I remove the "straw" and just use a bigger bead. A #4 Water Gremlin sinker will hold them down to where the water level is in the "red" area .... and it don't take much pull to take them under.
    I also like the Thill (balsa) floats .... like these:

but, don't much care for the price :D

I even got me a "rattlin bobber" to try out this Spring :rolleyes: :

We'll have to wait and see if it really does make a difference ....... LOL!!!

...........cp

Post Thanks / Like

I like the balsa slip floats. The cheap ones bass pro make that come in a pack of 5 do fine for me. I'm talking the shorter ones that are shaped like the one on the left in crapiepappy's top picture. Now for trolling (if I use them) I use the styrofoam ones he also has pictured.
    NEED MORE COWBELL!!
    JD

Post Thanks / Like

How about "none of the above"? I am an old timer and still use QUILLS when I can find them.
    Likes Shoalwater Cat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

In my experience, nothing compares to "waggler" type floats. (The Thill wagglers are the best that are commercially available.) They cast better, they're much more sensitive, and they show "lift" bites (where the fish takes the bait from below causing the float to rise in the water.)

If you're fishing vertically, the center slider floats are good, since the line runs directly through the body of the float. However, I always use wagglers when I'm casting to fish.
    Last edited by deathb4disco; 05-21-2007 at 01:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the orange styrofoam floats for shallow jig fishing. They are light and tough. I take the upper half and paint them white so when crappie are biting lite and just pick up on the jig you can tell when it lays on its side. It is important not to get the weighted ones because these will not lay on their side.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Stumpbumpers on this one.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,

I would like to recommend "Everlasting Slip Bobbers"
    I started using these a couple of years ago and
    they are the only kind I will use now.
    They work great - just order them according to weight you
    want to suspend.
    Check out at www.hloutdoors.com

Retired now and looking forward to coming to Crappie Camp.

Good Luck to everyone and Good Fishin,

WIMPY

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

When bream fishing I usually go with the smaller balsa wood floats but when I use floats over jigs or minnows I go with the pencil type floats. Less effort for the crappie to pull the float under if they are biting light.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast