Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie help

Hey guys I'm planning on going crappie fishing this weekend and I'm looking for some general tips. Where are they at this time of year? Shallow or deep? Piers, creeks, rocks, etc? What technique would be best? Live, jig, crankbait? What color? I will be fishing a lake in southeast Mississippi if that matters. Sorry about all the questions but I really don't know very much about crappie fishing I'm a bass fisherman. The only way I have ever really caught them is under lights. Also, will crappie school on shad this time of year like bass? Pics will follow if I do good.
    Thanks for any info.

Post Thanks / Like

Post this on the Mississippi board with what lake specifically. I'm in North Ms, can't help.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

Not looking for info on a specific lake just fishing in general this time of year.

Post Thanks / Like

I fish two lakes 30 miles apart. Right now I catch fish in 3 to 6 foot of water in one, and 18 to 20 foot in the other. The lake you are fishing is the most important factor in how and where to fish.

I suggested you ask for tips on the Ms board to get some advice from locals in the know. Advice from someone in say Kansas or the Carolina's will be of little use to you.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

Stump, feelay knows what he's talking about.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Water temp will determine a lot about what depth the fish will be. Find a drop and go down it till you find brush. Most of the time you will find brush both on top and on the drop itself. Cast across the shallow stuff first, then move up and tightline it. Then move to the deeper stuff and tightline it. My guess is you will find most of your bigger crappie in brushpiles 10 foot of water or deeper. Move around and keep trying different brushpiles till you hit paydirt.

Also watch for other boats and try to get an idea of what depth they are finding fish. Most crappie fishermen are pretty helpful and will answer a few questions for you. Just don't crowd them and make them think you are trying to GPS their spot.

If you catch a few good ones and fry them up, you'll be hooked forever.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by feelay View Post
    I fish two lakes 30 miles apart. Right now I catch fish in 3 to 6 foot of water in one, and 18 to 20 foot in the other. The lake you are fishing is the most important factor in how and where to fish.

I suggested you ask for tips on the Ms board to get some advice from locals in the know. Advice from someone in say Kansas or the Carolina's will be of little use to you.
    This is the truth!
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944