Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: The Future Fisherman Foundation Needs Our Help

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Future Fisherman Foundation Needs Our Help

I received the following email from Keith "Catfish" Sutton and thought I should share it here:

Dear Fishing Friends,

I know you’re probably as busy as me, but I’d be grateful for a few moments of your time to tell you about something very important to those of us who understand the values of taking kids fishing. I’d consider it a personal favor if you’d take time to read this email through to the end.

As you’re probably aware, I became executive director of the Future Fisherman Foundation (F3) just last year. F3 is nationally recognized as the leader in sportfishing and aquatic-resource education. Our mission is to promote fishing as an important part of a healthy, happy lifestyle and to increase the number of children who receive quality fishing-education programs and experiences that lead them to become lifelong, conservation-minded anglers. Since 1986, F3 programs such as Hooked On Fishing Not On Drugs and Physh Ed have reached more than 1 million school-aged children, an achievement unequalled by any other fishing-education organization.

Today, with fishing participation rates and angler retention at the lowest levels in decades, there’s never been a greater need for F3’s services. According to the latest survey by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the number of 6- to 15-year-olds who fished fell from 10.5 million in 1996 to 8.3 million in 2006, a decline of 2.2 million in just 10 years, and angler retention (the number of anglers who have ever fished who remain active) fell 8% between 1990 and 2005.

Like other non-profit organizations, however, we’ve found it increasingly difficult during these tough economic times to obtain grants and other funding that once supported our programs. That’s why I’m contacting you with this important message.

Unless we can find additional sources of funding before year’s end, we’ll be forced to cease our efforts on behalf of fishing educators nationwide.

Can you imagine what would happen if the hundreds of state fisheries agencies, schools, service clubs and youth organizations that use F3 programs no longer had a national coordinator to provide training, support and guidance for their programs? Without F3, hundreds of youth fishing education programs in states throughout the U.S. might cease to exist. That’s a situation none of us wants to ponder.

Without F3 programs, fewer children would experience fishing and become adult anglers. And fewer future anglers would mean:

Fewer fishing license sales that fund state fish-and-wildlife agency conservation/management programs
    Decreased sales of boats and tackle that support fishing-industry manufacturers, distributors and retailers
    Reduction in the amount of excise taxes collected on sales of fishing gear and boating fuel that fund aquatic-resources conservation and education
    Fewer anglers spending money on food, lodging, transportation and other fishing-trip-related expenses that help support our nation’s $125 billion a year sportfishing industry.
    F3’s board of directors has set a goal to raise $50,000 by the end of this year, and an additional $200,000 in 2011. When I visited with our friends at PRADCO Fishing/Lindy Fishing Tackle in Ft. Smith, Ark. last week and told them this, they really stepped up to the plate to help. PRADCO has pledged to donate $15,000 to F3 before year’s end if we can raise the other $35,000 of this year’s goal. They believe in our mission and want to encourage others to support these efforts.

“The Foundation is our ‘evangelism’ wing,” PRADCO Vice President and General Manager Bruce Stanton has been telling others in an effort to help F3’s fundraising efforts. “They educate trainers and provide literature, assistance and product to school groups so they can teach kids to fish. PRADCO/Lindy has pledged $15,000 if F3 can raise the other $35,000. If you can give any amount possible, it would be appreciated and will keep our lifestyle in front of kids who need to be exposed to it.”

No donation is too small. Every dollar donated helps the Future Fisherman Foundation match monies being donated by PRADCO so we can continue our valuable programs to help ensure the future of fishing.

Tax-deductible donations can be made online by visiting our website at Future Fisherman Foundation or by mailing a check to:

Future Fisherman Foundation
    PO Box 6049
    McLean, VA 22106

Ray Scott, the founder of B.A.S.S. and the newest member of F3’s board, recently had this to say about the support so direly needed by the Future Fisherman Foundation:

“It is most unfortunate when a program of this magnitude runs into such ridiculous opposition or lack of support by our industry. The Future Fishing Foundation is about more than just fishing; it is about education, structure, discipline, productive and solid benefits to the youth of today – who will be the leaders of tomorrow. We can’t neglect that in a few years these are the individuals who will be buying rods, reels, lures and boats to sustain our industry. We just need to light a fire under the program and reach out to our industry leaders – ask them to rethink their involvement and climb on board.”

Please help if you can by donating today. And if you would, please forward this email to others and encourage them to do likewise. If you're a fishing guide, forward this email to your clients. If you're a writer, tell your readers about F3's programs and needs. If you're an angler, share this with your fishing friends.

Your generosity and support are greatly appreciated. If I can provide additional information or assistance, please let me know. \

Cordially,

Keith "Catfish" Sutton
    15601 Mountain Dr.
    Alexander, AR 72002
    [email protected]
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

OK, let's show'em, what Crappie.commers are made of. This is a terrific organization that gives thousands of youngsters the opportunity to get hooked on fishing instead of a lot of other things they don't need to be doing. You can go directly to their Donation page here - Future Fisherman Foundation.

I sent them $50 - easy to do through PayPal. If you decide to make a donation, post the amount here. Let's see how much we can raise here on Crappie.com!!!
    Last edited by Jerry Blake; 11-11-2010 at 08:00 PM.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Kyle Schoenherr is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I just donated $50. It sounds like a great organization. It's important to get the kids out fishing!

www.AllSeasonsCrappieFishing.com - 2x National Champion
    B'n'M Pro Staff - Road Runner Pro Staff - Lowrance Pro Staff - Tru Turn Pro Staff
    Harvest Clean Pro Staff - Midsouth Pro Staff - Titelok Pro Staff - Engels Pro Staff
    CrappieNow - Rend Lake Resort - Kinkaid Sportsman Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Great cause! I know 5 peeps who donated $100 each!http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...-our-help.html

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sending another $50 and I'm challenging all State Board Moderators to match that or at least do something. Also, please start a "Sticky" on your state board and challenge the folks from your state to send in something - anything - every little bit helps! Let's see which state can donate the most!

Of course, this will have to be on the "Honor System" and everyone will have to post the amount they sent in on their state's board so we can get a tally.

Let's run this through Thanksgiving Day. This is your opportunity to show your appreciation for the person(s) that introduced you to the great sport of fishing and potentially help do the same for the next generation.
    Last edited by Jerry Blake; 11-14-2010 at 10:26 PM.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

We just donated $250 to help out this worthwhile organization. I have my grandad to thank for my love of fishing as a child, my husband for re-igniting my interest in fishing and Jerry Blake for his expert guiding, help and advice to make me a better crappie fisherman than I ever thought I could be.

So many kids today don't have the opportunity to actually go fishing with a relative and let's face it - Wii fishing (or any video game) doesn't replace the excitement of the real deal. Check out the F3 webpage and then give! 'Tis the season.
    Crappie fishing . . . Life is Good!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to everyone who has donated so far! Please make a post on your respective state board so we can see which state raises the most. If the moderator for your state board hasn't started a post and made it a sticky then please ask them to do so in your post.
    Last edited by Jerry Blake; 11-19-2010 at 09:30 AM.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com