Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Battery Issues?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Battery Issues?

I'm having some issues with my battery system and hope to get some help to fix. I know it's probably something simple, but I'm obviously too close to the problem.

Just replaced one battery that had a bad cell. Hooked it all back up - both neg. to one battery, both pos. on the second battery, jumper from pos. to neg between the batteries, each has their own pos/neg cables for the charger. All contacts and cable connection clean and free of corrosion. I believe I'm getting 24 volts from the two batteries to my trolling motor because the speed and strength is strong. When I plug the charger in the indicator lights do not show that they are being charged. They flash for a few seconds then go out. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Darryl
    Fish for Fun
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Darryl, I have run into this same problem before. The first time it was the on-board charger failed. While researching for a different charger, the 24 volt connection should be made at the plug-in at the trolling motor, not at the batteries. When recharging, the plug MUST be unpluged to remove the 24 volt connection. Since I have made the right connections I have not had any problems. :D The first charger was a Guest model. I'm now using a Cabela's model. You ,might call the manufacture of your charger to discuss this problem. You might disconnect the batteries except for the charger and see what happens. Hope this helps! <*)}}}><
    You'll see the difference,,,on the end of your line! PROUD MEMBER OF ​TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Darryl,
    Nice to hear from you again! Sorry you are having those aggrivating battery problems. I had a Pro Charger XL doing nearly the same thing. I called the company and they told me that if one battery was being charged and one battery was not being charged to hook both charging leads to the one charged battery and plug the charger in for 15 min. They said this would reset the faulty bank on the charger. This did not work for my problem, and I called and advised them of my serial number. They said it was under warranty and sent me another one with no questions asked. They sent a ups pick up slip with the new charger so I could send the old back without charging me for shipping. I had the non charging battery tested and it was bad also. A bad charging bank and a bad battery at the same time caused me fits for a couple of days. My Deka marine deep cycle battery that went bad was less than a year old and the dealer told me that it was just a charging problem. I told him the battery was bad and he bet me that it wasn't. I came back to the marina two hours later and he told me to pick a new battery off of the rack. He showed me that the sidewalls of the battery were bowed outward and advised that it tested bad and would not charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Morris
    I'm having some issues with my battery system and hope to get some help to fix. I know it's probably something simple, but I'm obviously too close to the problem.

Just replaced one battery that had a bad cell. Hooked it all back up - both neg. to one battery, both pos. on the second battery, jumper from pos. to neg between the batteries, each has their own pos/neg cables for the charger. All contacts and cable connection clean and free of corrosion. I believe I'm getting 24 volts from the two batteries to my trolling motor because the speed and strength is strong. When I plug the charger in the indicator lights do not show that they are being charged. They flash for a few seconds then go out. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Darryl
    Fish for Fun