Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie Fishing at Barren Lake

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Fishing at Barren Lake

Hello All,

Has anyone done any Crappie fishing at Barren River Lake. I'm headed down there this weekend, and was looking for some pointers or some spots to try. Or a fishing report would help. I'm new to Crappie Fishing, but have a boat with a fishfinder on it. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Ed

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Ed, I don't know diddly about Barren, or I'd be more than happy to help you out. But, just looking at the COE info for Barren ... I'd say the lake is real close to having the bottom dropped out of it. It's about 4ft below Summer pool, now ... but Winter pool is another 20+ feet less. And according to the COE pool elevation chart - they drop the lake starting in Oct, and have it at Winter pool by mid Nov. (about a 1/2ft a day drop in water level over the time period)
    If the lake is still falling slow - my best guess would be deep brush piles or standing timber in and around creek mouths/points in around 20ft of water or more. If the lake is being drawn down hard - they're probably out in the channels and hugging the bottom.
    If nothing else - it may be worth the trip (once they've pulled the water down another 5-10ft) just to see the exposed banks....could be invaluable info for next Spring !! ..............luck2ya ............cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Fishing On Barren

Quote Originally Posted by edwalden444
    Hello All,

Has anyone done any Crappie fishing at Barren River Lake. I'm headed down there this weekend, and was looking for some pointers or some spots to try. Or a fishing report would help. I'm new to Crappie Fishing, but have a boat with a fishfinder on it. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Ed
    I live in Bowling Green and fish Barren often. Lake conditions are tough right now. Water tempture is still averaging around 45 to 48 degrees. The corp is really pulling water which is causing the upper end to be pretty stained. Water clarity is better in the creeks and with the water dropping some of the sunken trees should be easier to fish. I'd suggest getting a map and finding the creek channels. Spend some time trying to find fish in the channel bends. I usually have good luck on a red and white tube jig.