Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cold weather Jacket? Whatcha like?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cold weather Jacket? Whatcha like?

What do you all like for winter fishing. Looking for something that allows you to move, but also blocks wind and cold.
    Fish like your hungry!

barrelslime is offline Moderator White Bass/Striper/Hybrid Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Ck out Columbia gear
    Personal Best 17 1/2"
    " Let us endeavor so to live, that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

The key to staying warm is layers. I wear a thermal undershirt followed by a sweatshirt or hoodie. If it's not terribly cold, I wear a Cabela's guidewear jacket over this to stop the wind and if really cold I wear an insulated jacket over this.

Post Thanks / Like

Should also mention it has to be available in 3-4x.
    Fish like your hungry!

Post Thanks / Like

I dress in layers when it is cold. I have found that several layers of thinner shirts/jackets, keeps me just as warm as one bulky coat. That being said the layer I can not do without is a windproof fleece - I have a mountain hardware fleece with gore windstopper - that and a gore-tex jacket for an outer layer keeps me warm. They are not cheap, however, many other fleece companies have started making windproof fleece. It will not restrict your movement at all, and keeps you warm.

Here is what I wear when it is cold (15 - 30 degrees) - underarmour cold wear layer base layer, long sleeve t shirt, windproof fleece, and cabelas guidewear parka. On the pants, I will wear the underarmor base layer, fleece pants - or insulated columbia pants, and if needed my bibs from the guide wear. I stay pretty warm. I keep hand warmers in my pocket - I still haven't found gloves I really like to fish in.

But my main point is several thinner layers will keep you just as warm, and have less restrictions on movement as one bulky layer.

Post Thanks / Like

Either using underarmour or polartec is the key to stay warm. I wear the polartec polar base for the thermal and the 300 over my clothes. On 30 degree days ice fishing I have had to take the insulated guideware off when the wind was not blowing. And I freeze if its below 50. The balaclava is great for the runs down the lake. 25 degrees and 45mph and no wind came thru it. Pull it over your nose and put the sunglasses on, its so much nicer than having to put the full faced motorcycle helmet on.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dongotto View Post
    What do you all like for winter fishing. Looking for something that allows you to move, but also blocks wind and cold.
    I have a Carhart Artic jacket that I really like.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite is a poly insulated underwear, fleece (or polartec) shirt with insulated bibs. Over that, I wear a Sterns flotation coat. It's warm windproof, flexible and will keep me floating if I take a spill. One of the most useful cold weather garments is a good rainsuit. Not only will it keep the spray off, but it's an excellent windbreak; I can keep warm if I can block the wind. Wool socks with 6" neoprene boots are good too. Still haven't found anything to keep the hands warm. I 'slingshot' docks in the winter and gloves don't work; If it's too cold for my hands I've got to come in.

Post Thanks / Like

Staying warm is key, but I don't have a problem with my body. Like the others have said, I dress in layers, and I have a system starting with polypro long sleeve undershirt, an old wool sweater, my old sweatshirt (with hood--that is key), and then my jacket on top. For the legs, I start with long underwear, then a pair of sweat pants, and then some $25 ski pants that I got on clearance a couple of years ago.

My problem is fingers and toes. I started using Grabber heat packs in my gloves, that helps a lot! I use spinner gear, so the only finger that I need to use is my right index finger, so I snipped that finger off the glove. It gets cold, but with the heat pack, I'm OK. I made some fleece "over-boots" for my feet, and that helps, too, but I think I'm going to try battery-powered hunting socks this winter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dongotto View Post
    When the temps are down I'm not going out without my Arctic Armor. Besides being the warmest and lightest jacket I own it will also keep you afloat should you take an unexpected dip. The sizes are up to 3XL but run big. I usually wear an XL or sometimes a 2XLand I have the AA in Large Parka.

Arctic Armor Camo and Red Jackets

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast