PDA

View Full Version : Flashlight

majflyboy
11-08-2010, 09:31 AM
Fished a MCC tourney this past Sat, got in the water way before sunup & discovered I need a good flashlight. Anyone have a favorite for boat use? Thanks.

barus243
11-08-2010, 10:18 AM
I would recommend looking at headlamps. I got one that clips onto my cap and it does a pretty good job keeping my hands free. I keep a spotlight, battery powered lantern, and a couple of Mag-Lites in the boat for when I need more light. If you are going to be casting out for the most part I'd recommend something with a red lens so as not to destroy the night vision.

Wannabe...
11-08-2010, 10:18 AM
Oh boy...my next favorite thing next to electronicals.

I'll tell you Maj, you're going to get all kinds of recomendations for high dollar tactical lights that run on Lithium 123 batteries and out put something close to the Sun in terms of Lumens. I've tried several and they are really, really, really nice. Closest thing to a manmade sunrise you'll ever see. But then, you get to thinking about how much they cost and how the batteries are pricey and not available just anywhere, then the run time comes in to play....You're lucky to get one that will run 3 hours. And they don't just fade either. It's full power and a flicker then no light.

What I've settled on is a light I got from Target by a company called River Rock for $20. It's a 2 AA powered LED, 4.5" long and about the size around as your middle finger. I carry it next to my wallet in my back pocket every day. I'd guess the output is about 30 lumens which is perfect for what you need. And I use this thing more than the key fob on my truck. Probably 3 or 4 times a day. I change the batteries about twice a year.

http://www.riverrockledlights.com/index.php

Wannabe...

"G"
11-08-2010, 10:30 AM
Sounds good WB......you can send me and Maj each one for Christmas.

Wannabe...
11-08-2010, 11:23 AM
More thoughts. Stay away from the cheap regular LEDs that have multiple LEDs for output. The light is fine for up close but they will not "throw" the beam worth a flip. What you want is a Luxeon single LED which is very good or the CREE LED which is even better.

Keep in mind, you can pay above $300 for a flashlight and you can literally damage somebody's retina with it. Even at $100, they are considered "tactical" in most cases meaning you can produce temporary blindness. What I look for is a "good" beam with excellent battery life though. The River Rock light I mentioned is it for me, since I rarely serve warrants in full SWAT gear to crack houses at 3AM. :)

Wannabe...

chasintail
11-08-2010, 08:46 PM
Headlamps are great but as far as a flashlight this is my favorite. 41-4299 220 Lumen Rechargeable Cree XRE LED Flashlight (http://www.dorcy.com/p-158-41-4299-220-lumens-rechargeable-led.aspx) A cop friend of mine uses it and after seeing it I had to have it. It has a nice bright beam that lasts a long time and unlike most LED lights the beam projects out a loooong way. I use it in place of a Q beam. For under 60 bucks well worth it.

Jigging15
11-08-2010, 10:39 PM
I have a light with a clip for my hat and also one with an elastic band with 3 differant colors of LED's and is adjustable up and down. Both less than $15 at Wal-Mart or Target. I leave them in the cubby hole under the drivers side console. Great for getting boat ready in the dark or tying on last minute jigs before a tournament starts.

tommyboyrn
11-08-2010, 11:30 PM
I have a rechargeable streamlight SL-20XP for the truck , I have a pelican Pocket Sabre™ 1820 Flashlight that my brother gave me from his days of fightin fires in memphis and I keep it in my tackle bag as well as a LED headlamp. The clip on the pelican is nice. And you cant have too many flashlights........

yikess
11-09-2010, 12:06 AM
Major I use a battery powered lantern around my boat a lot. Now I'm not fishing or driving with it or anything but for a nice overall illumination of the deck, it works very well. I like that it's hands free and can be used for others things as well. i.e. changing a flat, backing in my camper etc.

Jigging15
11-09-2010, 04:16 AM
yikess I like the idea of the battery powered lantern. I guess it would not take up to much space in the boat or maybe better to be left in the truck for use when not traveling with the boat. I like my last headlamp with adjustable elastic headband but may add a lantern to my truck box or extra rod locker.

65pontiac
11-09-2010, 04:56 AM
WB since I rarely serve warrants in full SWAT gear to crack houses at 3AM. :)

What do you use then. :D

jimp
11-09-2010, 06:52 AM
advance auto has some cheapo led flashlights, about $2.50/ea right now on sale, about 3" long, on/off switch on the butt end, works good, uses AAA batteries, good cheap light to leave in the boat, usually right at the counter. I figured I would get several and just dispose of as they quit working, cheaper than buying new batteries IMO.

jimfish
11-09-2010, 07:27 AM
I like those small led lights they have at harbor freight has 9 leds. Wife made me a head band to hold it works great. 8 in a pack less than 10bucks.

Wannabe...
11-09-2010, 11:32 AM
Lookey here, I done answered this question and so far, I'm the only one who has answered it correctly. The rest of ya'll need to get with the program.

River Rock Maj. River Rock.

Wannabe...

majflyboy
11-09-2010, 01:05 PM
Just got back from Target, WB, no River Rock.

Dutch552
11-09-2010, 01:40 PM
Mini MagLite LED has worked well for me. Bought it at WM for about $15. I have a tacti-cool SureFire "turns into the sun" light that I spent much more on to mount on a Glock but don't want to risk it going overboard so the rugged and comparatively cheap mini-Mag does just fine.

Wannabe...
11-09-2010, 02:43 PM
Follow that link above Maj. You can order direct, or maybe find online cheaper. Several other companies out there that put out good, reasonably priced Luxeon and CREE LEDs. Cabelas has a brand that looks pretty good, Innova, Fenix, Smith and Wesson.....I'd just stay away from the ultra high output lights that use CR123s. Far superior light quality with lights like that, but you give up so much in battery life.

Wannabe...

jimfish
11-09-2010, 03:42 PM
Im tellin ya get 3 of those lil 9led lights put a drop of super glue on each one stick one on each ear and one on your forhead you have enough light to light up the whole lake.

fireman1501
11-09-2010, 10:04 PM
stinger xp had one for about 6 years replaced battery one time great lights for the money.

luvtofish
11-09-2010, 11:02 PM
Wife got me a Rayovac Sportsman Extreme last year for Christmas. Uses 3 C batteries. Has good light output and doesn't break the bank. Around $30.00.

fultondalecrappie
11-09-2010, 11:10 PM
Hard to beat a mini mag lite.

AgriHawg
11-10-2010, 12:22 AM
Princeton Tec headlamps are the way to go. The headbands are comfortable and the lights have really good battery lives. I keep one in my truck at all times in case I need to change a flat tire in the dark. Once you change one flat in the dark with it, you'll never go without. My favorite is the Princeton Tec Quad:
Quad | Princeton Tec (http://www.princetontec.com/index.php?q=quad)

blueball
11-11-2010, 08:45 AM
any kind of cap light you choose and i keep a stanly tripod flashlight ,real handy can be bought at walmart or lowes

Barnacle Bill
11-11-2010, 10:44 AM
any kind of cap light you choose and i keep a stanly tripod flashlight ,real handy can be bought at walmart or lowes

I've got one of those and they are great.