Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flashlight

Post Thanks / Like

Default Flashlight

Fished a MCC tourney this past Sat, got in the water way before sunup & discovered I need a good flashlight. Anyone have a favorite for boat use? Thanks.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend looking at headlamps. I got one that clips onto my cap and it does a pretty good job keeping my hands free. I keep a spotlight, battery powered lantern, and a couple of Mag-Lites in the boat for when I need more light. If you are going to be casting out for the most part I'd recommend something with a red lens so as not to destroy the night vision.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh boy...my next favorite thing next to electronicals.

I'll tell you Maj, you're going to get all kinds of recomendations for high dollar tactical lights that run on Lithium 123 batteries and out put something close to the Sun in terms of Lumens. I've tried several and they are really, really, really nice. Closest thing to a manmade sunrise you'll ever see. But then, you get to thinking about how much they cost and how the batteries are pricey and not available just anywhere, then the run time comes in to play....You're lucky to get one that will run 3 hours. And they don't just fade either. It's full power and a flicker then no light.

What I've settled on is a light I got from Target by a company called River Rock for $20. It's a 2 AA powered LED, 4.5" long and about the size around as your middle finger. I carry it next to my wallet in my back pocket every day. I'd guess the output is about 30 lumens which is perfect for what you need. And I use this thing more than the key fob on my truck. Probably 3 or 4 times a day. I change the batteries about twice a year.

http://www.riverrockledlights.com/index.php

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good WB......you can send me and Maj each one for Christmas.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

More thoughts. Stay away from the cheap regular LEDs that have multiple LEDs for output. The light is fine for up close but they will not "throw" the beam worth a flip. What you want is a Luxeon single LED which is very good or the CREE LED which is even better.

Keep in mind, you can pay above $300 for a flashlight and you can literally damage somebody's retina with it. Even at $100, they are considered "tactical" in most cases meaning you can produce temporary blindness. What I look for is a "good" beam with excellent battery life though. The River Rock light I mentioned is it for me, since I rarely serve warrants in full SWAT gear to crack houses at 3AM.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

Headlamps are great but as far as a flashlight this is my favorite. 41-4299 220 Lumen Rechargeable Cree XRE LED Flashlight A cop friend of mine uses it and after seeing it I had to have it. It has a nice bright beam that lasts a long time and unlike most LED lights the beam projects out a loooong way. I use it in place of a Q beam. For under 60 bucks well worth it.

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a light with a clip for my hat and also one with an elastic band with 3 differant colors of LED's and is adjustable up and down. Both less than $15 at Wal-Mart or Target. I leave them in the cubby hole under the drivers side console. Great for getting boat ready in the dark or tying on last minute jigs before a tournament starts.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a rechargeable streamlight SL-20XP for the truck , I have a pelican Pocket Sabre™ 1820 Flashlight that my brother gave me from his days of fightin fires in memphis and I keep it in my tackle bag as well as a LED headlamp. The clip on the pelican is nice. And you cant have too many flashlights........

"The greatest use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it".

William James

Post Thanks / Like

Major I use a battery powered lantern around my boat a lot. Now I'm not fishing or driving with it or anything but for a nice overall illumination of the deck, it works very well. I like that it's hands free and can be used for others things as well. i.e. changing a flat, backing in my camper etc.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM TWEENER!
    Member of Tri-State Crappie Anglers

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

yikess I like the idea of the battery powered lantern. I guess it would not take up to much space in the boat or maybe better to be left in the truck for use when not traveling with the boat. I like my last headlamp with adjustable elastic headband but may add a lantern to my truck box or extra rod locker.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast