Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best fishing line for Vertical jigging?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best fishing line for Vertical jigging?

What type, color, brand and weight fishing line do you use for Vertical jigging? Im starting to get into vertical jigging and could use some help with picking the right line for the job. I will be fishing from a boat and I fish in a stump, log, brush and lilly pad filled lake.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Braid w/Leader

I use 20# Stren Sonic Braid w/10# Stren Mono 6" Leaders on a 3ft Drop-Shot rig for almost everything.
    I switch to a 1.5ft drop for February when they are closer to the bottom.
    I have my BPS baitcasters 1/2 full of 14# cheap mono for backing and never change it.
    The leaders are made up in advance with small split rings on one end and #2 Matzuo Sickle hooks on the other.
    They are attached to a 3 way swivel with Clasps for quick loading.
    8ft ProAngler Rods will let you feel and land anything you get on the hook.
    I've been using this setup every tourney this year and did well while my partners used jigs. I most times out caught them 4 to 1. No brag, just fact.

Post Thanks / Like

Stren Sonic Braid, Hi Vis Yellow 8# 1# Diam..I tried the power pro because it's a little cheaper. Not even close to the Quality of Stren. You will get a lot of different opinions on this..Good Luck.
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Post Thanks / Like

Power Pro HiViz braid with a flouro leader.

Gman
    We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."

Post Thanks / Like

10# Fireline (Flame Green) with an 8# Seaguar fluorocarbon leader.

Post Thanks / Like

10/2 Power Pro Hi-Vis yellow with no leader.
    "Never Fry Bacon Naked"

Post Thanks / Like

I don't what these other guys are fishing for but unless you are catching 5-6# crappie, you don't anything over 8# test floro or mono. I prefer 6# or 8# Vicious Hi-Vis. Remember what Buck Simmons, owner of BnM poles told me a hundred times, he never could understand why a guy would use a $30.00 jig pole as a pry bar to get a 25 cent jig loose. Now the price has changed but the question still has the same meaning.

Post Thanks / Like

Good point Morris, but can't you detect a light bite or a rising bite better with the skinny braid?
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite way to fish is over beds or standing timber with a pole in hand. My home lake can be very clear at times so I am in the habit of light line. I am in love with 4lb maxima in ultra green. It will handle the biggest crappie in my lake. At least for me I see, feel and get more bites with the light line. I guess water clarity is the biggest question really.
    Fish like your hungry!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiholic View Post
    I don't what these other guys are fishing for but unless you are catching 5-6# crappie, you don't anything over 8# test floro or mono. I prefer 6# or 8# Vicious Hi-Vis. Remember what Buck Simmons, owner of BnM poles told me a hundred times, he never could understand why a guy would use a $30.00 jig pole as a pry bar to get a 25 cent jig loose. Now the price has changed but the question still has the same meaning.
    If I were fishing open water with no cover I would use mono with no worries. We fish alot of cover and when you hook into a solid fish you have to keep his head coming up or it's over...We fished all spring last year and only lost 6 jigheads with the braid. Those Crappie Pro jigheads are more than .25 cents each and worth every cent. Todd Huckabee uses 10lb. AN-40 Siverthread and 2- 1/4oz. jigs and a 10 or 11' heavy graphite rod for feel, I guess it just comes down to where you fish and what conditions dictate.
    "Never Fry Bacon Naked"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast