Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question About Prop Damage

Post Thanks / Like

Question Question About Prop Damage

Last summer I damaged my prop not too badly, but did crinkle the edges a little bit in some rocks. It has a kinda torn, rough look. A buddy told me that that could throw it out of balance and ruin the bearings on the shaft. Do I need to take it in and have it reworked? Its a 13P stainless thats on a 2004 25 merc.
    Thanks in advance, crappierascal
    "She's A Bute Clark"

Post Thanks / Like

I definately wouldn't run it with a damaged prop. It does have the potential of harming the bearings, from vibration. Check the cost on a new one and compare it to having it reworked. The machining my hone it to much. I had a similar experience with a "chopper prop" the machining was done at Mercury and it left it very thin on the edges. I don't know the extent of your damage, but my advice is to let a professional take a look.
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Post Thanks / Like

Definately get it repaired. A new prop is still cheaper than motor repair. Why chance it? They can pretty much do wonders with a damaged prop.

Post Thanks / Like

I will definitely put the spare on and take the bad one to the shop. I didn't know how well balanced a prop had to be. Thanks for the help and the future problems I would've had. You know I probably would've had motor problems right before my fishing trip. Headaches are fixed. Thanks alot.
    "She's A Bute Clark"

Post Thanks / Like

How did you damage a ss prop ?I dmaged my alum.prop .real easy.I just put on a ss prop yesterday thinking it will take a beating .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappie joe
    How did you damage a ss prop ?I dmaged my alum.prop .real easy.I just put on a ss prop yesterday thinking it will take a beating .
    i think the main advantage to a ss prop is performance. rocks is gonna eat any prop up.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie joe... the SS props will take so much more than alum., but SS will not chop concrete with out being damaged.

Crappierascal... Running with a bad prop can also give you a bent prop shaft and that will lead to vibration and that will lead....you get the idea.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Chances are if you have done major damage to the prop you will feel a vibration while running the engine.If this happens and you continue to run it.You will damage the propshaft seals and the bearings.But in all it will take a heck of a lick to do this!!! But any damage will lead to a drop in performance. If you are banging up props quite often you are better to go with aluminum.With stainless steel you have a little better performance but when you hit something the whole drive train takes a beating.And with aluminun (softer metal) it will usually absorb the blow by breaking of pieces of the prop.That just my 2 cents worth...

Post Thanks / Like

Alum props work well in some lakes, but in Toledo Bend, my lake (just flooded Forrest)you would need a prop a day, LOL! All kidding aside no one runs this lake with out bumping stumps. So do pay attention feeling for any vibration.

However ky-slabseeker is right, with SS your motor can take a really hard hit. If that hit bends your prop shaft the vibration is right behind and so is your bill for repair.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Better swap that prop! If it is bent it will be out of balance and cause vibration. The vibration will cause bearing, seal, and gear damage! This is experience talking. Same thing happened to me and it cost me a lower unit!
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast