Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jigging blowdowns

Post Thanks / Like

Default jigging blowdowns

I went to a local creek yesterday. I TRIED jigging blowdown trees in the creek in the 12-18 fow range and it was a nightmare. I kept getting hung every 2 or 3 mins. I was using 6lb mono, and everytime i got hung i was at the bottom so i couldnt reel down to unhang myself. Is there anyway to not get hung when jiggging blowdown, or atleast get my jigs back? should i go with a heavy braid? i would like to get some jigs that have weak hooks so they can bend out. All i use is gamagatsu jig heads and those suckers dont give a inch.
    ,,,,,,,-------,,7777777,,,,,........99999...........www.catchcarolina.com

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to mention, it was my first time ever jigging. I only spider rig and longline. Would like to get into the jigging game but so far it seems like nothing but a headache

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The cheap jigheads from wally with the red hooks get lots of play in my boat. Until you find some light wire hooks they will get you by. Braid gets lots of em back for you and the fish don't care.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

YoungGun; We jig alot of laydowns over here and do well with 10/2 PowerPro and 1/8oz. jigs with a #2 hook. The larger hook allows you in most cases to free the hook, and the braid allows better feel in the brush. You can try the Charlie Brewer sliders as well and really work those laydowns with confidence.
    "Never Fry Bacon Naked"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Lip RIPPERS View Post
    YoungGun; We jig alot of laydowns over here and do well with 10/2 PowerPro and 1/8oz. jigs with a #2 hook. The larger hook allows you in most cases to free the hook, and the braid allows better feel in the brush. You can try the Charlie Brewer sliders as well and really work those laydowns with confidence.
    how do you fish the sliders?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Young Gun ....

While I don't do much vertical jigging .... if I did, I'd still be using the same jigheads that I use for casting over/into brushpiles/blowdowns :p (ie - WEEDLESS)

You might find some insight by reading thru my replies in this thread, and there's a picture of the two weedless jigheads that I use : http://www.crappie.com/crappie/kentu...ppie-rigs.html

Another idea, would be to use a very small jig (w/small hook) ... so the tendancy for the hook to find a branch to hold onto would be lessened :D But, even that don't always work ... even so, lighter hooks will bend open more easily than those Gama's.

Going back to the "vertical jigging" idea .... there IS always this option, and it does work : Vertical Casting | Older Articles And while I normally use the weedless jigheads while using this technique, I don't and haven't always done so ... I just seem to get my jig back, more often, when using a weedless one. Even when using a weedless jig, and especially when using a non-weedless jig .... letting the jig down STRAIGHT, and retrieving it back up STRAIGHT, is key to keeping your hook point out of the wood !!! Slow retrieval is key in stopping a snag-up, before it happens ... so that when your rod tip starts to bend down, stop reeling -- if it's a fish, you'll know it, and if it's starting to hang on a branch, then drop your rod tip to let it come off the branch. You may even have to jiggle the rod a little, to free the jig.

There are several different little items/tricks that can be used to retrieve a hung jig ... like lead on a paperclip, sparkplug, and various types of lure retrievers ... but, chances are you're going to bugger up your brushpile & run the fish off, if you have to bounce/jab a lure retriever around in the branches :o In my way of thinking, though, retrievers are just a way of getting back an expensive lure, one of a kind lure, or the "last one of those you got" lure :D and usually at the expense of messing up that spot. (though it may not be any worse than yanking/pulling on the line, breaking line or branches, and generally disturbing the brushpile)

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Young Gun View Post
    how do you fish the sliders?
    They are poured on a widegap offset hook that allows you to rig them like a Texas rig worm....very good for thick brush.
    "Never Fry Bacon Naked"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Young Gun View Post
    I went to a local creek yesterday. I TRIED jigging blowdown trees in the creek in the 12-18 fow range and it was a nightmare. I kept getting hung every 2 or 3 mins. I was using 6lb mono, and everytime i got hung i was at the bottom so i couldnt reel down to unhang myself. Is there anyway to not get hung when jiggging blowdown, or atleast get my jigs back? should i go with a heavy braid? i would like to get some jigs that have weak hooks so they can bend out. All i use is gamagatsu jig heads and those suckers dont give a inch.
    Don't give up yet. If your not getting hung up, then your probably not where the fish are at. I vertical jig 85% of the time I fish. I aslo Swear by Gamakatsu hooks. Best hooks money can buy in my opinion. I use Stren Sonic Braid 8# 1# diam. Try putting a crappie nibble on the tip of your hook. Press it down about half way so the point is not exposed. If I'm fishing in the 12-18' range. I may let out 10' of line and Slowly drop it down till I feel cover. Once you feel it, be real gentle. Lift your rod a few inches till you feel you have come off of it. Then let out another foot of line. Repeat the process till you get to the depth you are after. Most of the time you won't get hung if you just, gently wiggle or lightly shake your rod tip till it comes off. Never pull hard trying to free a jig head unless your Certain you can't wiggle it loose.
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Post Thanks / Like

Other than the spring spawn up here in Maine we all jig but we jig the open areas. I have been speaking about the use of a Flasher. It finds the open area fish and then its just up to you to get the bite. It may seem different to most but we just don,t have or fish brush piles. Its open water areas and that is where the Flasher works so good.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the info. I think i may invest in some weedless jog heads but the main prob i had was that i was fishing a creek, there was a slow current but enough to move my jig head once i dropped it down. I didnt have a prob dropping it, it was a prob when the current swept it away a little then i had to work it up through the brush. Im also gonna check out the slider setup, i guess im gonna google it because i have never seen it before. Im gonnatry it in the morning again, i will let yall know how i do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast