Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Depth finder

Post Thanks / Like

Default Depth finder

Do you need a depth finder for crappie fishing and if so, what is a good one to get?

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

If you have a boat a depth finder can be very helpful in crappie fishing because crappie are structure oriented...They will generally (but not always) be around some kind of structure...creek ledges, brush, stumps, weedlines, lilypads, bridge pilings..etc

It doesn't take a top of the line depth finder to locate this kind of structure...

Humminbird and Lowrance are the most common brand names ...that's also a personal choice

GPS is helpful for marking spots that you can come back to but it's not a necessity....

Do a lot of reading here about the different techniques for fishing for crappie...pick one (or a few) that you think you might be interested in trying...different techniques take different equipment....

then, by all means..ask plenty of questions here...
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

most low end or entry level FF/DF's will work, you have to get the settings set right for your boat, etc. One thing to really make sure of is that the power supply for the FF is seperated from any other power supply wires as much as possible to cut down/reduce any outside electrical interference(engine/TM). Cross any power wires at 90 degrees if possible and you should be ok. BPS had an eagle 320 for $80 a week or 2 ago.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The Humminbird unit I have was around $200 and has a 60 degree cone, or active area that is seen on the screen. some units have only a 20 degree cone and while they work good, don't show as much. I also have a GPS unit on the console, but that was over twice what the other one cost. Figure out your budget first and then ask lots of questions. The Tmotor and electronics section has some smart folks and will help a lot. Ans most important, Welcome from Middle Tennessee. No dumb questions here, we all learned and continue to learn here. Tight lines.....Skeet
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guys.

Post Thanks / Like

I hear good thing about eagle, lowrance,humminbire and garmin, I have owned all the afore mentioned and would recomend any of them. good luck

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beagle man View Post
    I hear good thing about eagle, lowrance,humminbire and garmin, I have owned all the afore mentioned and would recomend any of them. good luck

I agree.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

for the money the 320 and 480 are the best. I have a 480 and love it. does all I need.