Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Frustrated with not being able to control boat

Post Thanks / Like

Default Frustrated with not being able to control boat

I am probably a little more primitive than the rest of you in terms of boat and equipment.

I have a 12' riveted boat, i think its a 12x32...and its really light. The motor I use is a 1.75 gamefisher that I bough in 1985, runs like a charm. yeah, its not like i am going to go for a long ride, but it gets the job done.

The problem I have is keeping the boat still.

I was reading Slater's website, and he says use two anchors...I tried to use two long stab poles but that not work.

Guy who came beside me to see about the big sac i caught, he says, "You need to get a trolling motor."

I never was too good with trolling motors..and I hate..HATE... H.A.T.E. drift fishing. I like to be stationary.

I am on a really tight budget and was wondering what ideas yall might have for anchors..home made anchors. I cant go shell out $30 for anchors.

???

Believe me, it is frustrating trying to keep the boat still.

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen guys using old front disk brake hubs for anchors and they seemed to work just fine. Good luck and good fishing
    MT.DEW AND JP8 IN THE MORNING GETS THE BLOOD FLOWING.

Post Thanks / Like

Your anchor rope should be twice the depth of the water your in. figure which way the wind is blowing, Let out an anchor from the bow, then another anchor to one side or the other on the stern let the rope out until your positioned right and tie off to your cleat. A short chain (24" or so) linking the anchor to the rope might help your anchor dig... But seriously If your trying to catch crappie you need a trolling motor.

Hope this helps
    "Kids who hunt and fish dont steal and deal"

2012 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2012 Buggs Bash Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Old style window weights make great anchors. Good luck w/this!
    Don't outsmart your common sense!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto window weights!

Post Thanks / Like

yeah,, i havent been able to find window weights yet. my family has a motorcycle shop so i can get rotors from there.

a trolling motor..?? I am not really good with those things. i have one. .what about a battery.. what is a good battery?do i need a car-sized battery or one more like a motorcycle battery size? i know they gotta be deep cycle.. just asking for more specifics

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

The bigger the deep cycle battery the better.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Yes on the deep cycle type, if family owns cycle shop talk to battery suppliers see if they have factory blemish gel batteries available. Here in Illinois interstate batt stores carry them in optima line size 24 smallest size sold for $40 past summer may be great on your boat, size 27 medium one & most popular around here goes for about $80 with 6 month guarantee but should last several years as most are new batteries, friend has a pair going on 3 +years just fine. Mine is still strong after 6 months,just checked charge on it few days ago.
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaxsprat View Post
    Yes on the deep cycle type, if family owns cycle shop talk to battery suppliers see if they have factory blemish gel batteries available. Here in Illinois interstate batt stores carry them in optima line size 24 smallest size sold for $40 past summer may be great on your boat, size 27 medium one & most popular around here goes for about $80 with 6 month guarantee but should last several years as most are new batteries, friend has a pair going on 3 +years just fine. Mine is still strong after 6 months,just checked charge on it few days ago.
    for some reason..batteries seem to be very expensive down here. Cousin bought three batteries for his Champion 22 footer... i think $150 each. sheesh that is expensive.

i amgoing to look into the blemish batteries.. may have something like that down here.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Batteries are expensive everywhere now days. Your cousin probably bought group 31's and that price is about right.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast