Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just curious part #2.........

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Just curious part #2.........

Ok, since a lot of you spend a lot of time screen looking, how do you avoid the trolling motor from gobbling up the bait? I spend my time at keeping my line away from the trolling motor, which in most cases, is outside the cone.

I can see my jig or minner (if I look) on my lcx27 with it set in auto. However, every time I get close to the TM, it gobbles up my line. I find it best for me to keep away from the underwater spinning demon.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole View Post
    Ok, since a lot of you spend a lot of time screen looking, how do you avoid the trolling motor from gobbling up the bait? I spend my time at keeping my line away from the trolling motor, which in most cases, is outside the cone.

I can see my jig or minner (if I look) on my lcx27 with it set in auto. However, every time I get close to the TM, it gobbles up my line. I find it best for me to keep away from the underwater spinning demon.

Hum , I can see my jig and not get real close to the trolling motor. I can get a couple feet away and still see the jig or minnow if it's below 10ft. But that's good the water I fish the most is 25 to 30 ft deep. We always catch them from 8ft and deeper
    Alan
    ------------------
    Tight Lines to all
    Roll Tide Roll

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the time i,m ok. I do get wound up some but it is always easy to unwind. In calm winds i mosty pulse the motor to keep my jig in view. I,m fishing 4lb. and a tunsten jig so i have a better line control. Also a short rod 4 1/2 ft.

Post Thanks / Like

This is how I do it when spider-rigging with 12' poles, about the only time I watch my jigs. That is a 1/4 oz lead with a rubber band doubled thru it to help keep it away from my TM.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Tom, I have been meaning to ask HB Greg this so I'll ask you...If you have a dual beam transducer shouldn't the 83khz beam pick the jig up further away from the trolling motor? I think I am only picking up the jig with the 200khz beam...
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don G View Post
    [/COLOR]

Tom, I have been meaning to ask HB Greg this so I'll ask you...If you have a dual beam transducer shouldn't the 83khz beam pick the jig up further away from the trolling motor? I think I am only picking up the jig with the 200khz beam...
    In reality, yes. However with more coverage comes more clutter, thus finite tuning becomes more complicated and tedious. Catch 22. I don't fool with it. Too much trouble.

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
    This is how I do it when spider-rigging with 12' poles, about the only time I watch my jigs. That is a 1/4 oz lead with a rubber band doubled thru it to help keep it away from my TM.
    Steve, I think that is the ugliest jig I have ever seen...:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don G View Post
    Steve, I think that is the ugliest jig I have ever seen...:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    But does it work??
    Alan
    ------------------
    Tight Lines to all
    Roll Tide Roll

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like some of my rigs SteveJ except I use the weight that comes with rubber in it. Add and remove with a twist. Lazy me.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like some of my rigs SteveJ except I use the weight that comes with rubber in it. Add and remove with a twist. Lazy me.
    I'm cheap so I make my own, its easy to slide down your line to your jig to not have extra line flopping around as you move with the big motor and yes it does catch fish. Tighten up the weight with the same twist as with the store bought weight. Hard to fine those around here Tom but yes an advantage to the rubber core would be the ease of removing, have to cut my lure off to remove the lead.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast