Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about LOWE boats

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question about LOWE boats

I was wondering what you guys think about LOWE boats. I have also found one of their boats I like. I like the Stinger 170W model. Its an all weld with a livewell in the front and back. My only concern right now is that not many dealers seem to carry LOWE products, it makes me wonder why. Do any of you guys have an opinion on them. I gotta get me a boat so I can help Fatboy win one of those tournaments one day. Do any of you know if 4-stroke motors are much heavier than a 2-stroke?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a 4 cycle but the dealer told me that they were heavier. Seems like a better trade off to not have to worry about mixing oil or worrying about the injection system failing. A buddy of mine has a 4 cycle and it gets good gas mileage.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine had one it was a great boat for the money.
    He kick's himself in the butt every day for trading up.
    Four stroke motors on average at least 50 pounds heaver starting with 25 hp.
    Keep line wet
    Catfish

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lowe Boats

Lowe boats were owned by OMC the outboard people before they went bankrupt. Genmar purchased all the OMC boat lines from the bankruptcy court which included Lowe. Since that time, Genmar sold all the aluminum boat lines to Brunswick Corp, who happens to own Mercury outboards. Lowe is a good boat brand and well made, but with the recent changes in ownership, their dealer network might be getting restructured. When Lowe was owned by OMC, they would have been sold by dealers who also sold the Johnson/Evinrude motor lines. Now with them being owned by the parent company of Mercury, I imagine they will be aligned with Mercury dealers. I wouldn't hesitate to by a Lowe boat, in fact they absorbed the old Sea Nymph and Grumman lines of boats, which were top brands. As far as 4 stroke outboards, I wouldn't have anything else, quiet, smooth, no smell or smoke, and they just sip gas compared to a carbed 2 stroke. Some 4 strokes are heavier than their comparable 2 strokes, and some are not. My Merc 40HP 4 stroke was the same weight within 10 pounds or so of the Johnson 40HP 2 stroke I replaced. My current boat had a Merc 50HP 2 stoke when I bought it, and was around 202 pounds. Looking to replace it with a 4 stroke, I found that the Merc and Yamaha 50HP 4 strokes were over 250 pounds, but the Honda 50HP was 202 pounds, the same as the Merc 2 stroke. I went with the Honda. If you are just getting into buying a new boat and motor, do yourself a favor and try out a few boats with 4 stroke power verses 2 stroke power and see the difference. Four stroke outboards have improved my boating pleasure by 200%, I wouldn't have it any other way now.

Post Thanks / Like

Crappieseeker
    I've seen some really nice looking Lowe boats, but don't have one so I can't comment on that. But I do have a 2002 Yamaha 40, 4 stroke and it weights 10 pounds less that the same 2 stroke going by the sales manual. It uses no more fuel than my old 1972 Mercury 20. The best money I've spent in a long time.

Gerald
    Cayce, SC

Quote Originally Posted by crappieseeker
    I was wondering what you guys think about LOWE boats. I have also found one of their boats I like. I like the Stinger 170W model. Its an all weld with a livewell in the front and back. My only concern right now is that not many dealers seem to carry LOWE products, it makes me wonder why. Do any of you guys have an opinion on them. I gotta get me a boat so I can help Fatboy win one of those tournaments one day. Do any of you know if 4-stroke motors are much heavier than a 2-stroke?
    Gerald K4NHN
    Cayce, SC

Post Thanks / Like

The reason I asked about the weight difference is because one boat I looked at showed the boat specs with a max hp of 90hp. I emailed the dealer to ask about the boat with a 4-stroke 90. She said the boat was not recommended for a 90hp. The specs showed it was rated for 90hp. She didnt specify 4 or 2 stroke. Thanks everyone, I will definately go with 4-stroke

Post Thanks / Like

I use to own Lowe 180w stinger, good boat ran about 45 with a 115 evinrude. But I did have a major problem, that caused me to sell the boat. I was out fishing on truman lake, it was very windy and very rough. I hit a large enough wave that caused the bow to crack open. It split about a 6" slit in the front on the bow stem. Luckly got it back to ramp after I noticed water was filling in from some where. Got it loaded on the trailer, next day called my dealer took it to him. And then drove it to the plant in lebanon, mo. They had it for about 2-3 weeks tore the boat apart, welded all back up for free. I traded it off for a fiberglass boat now. Other than that i was good boat, fished good had lots of storage. Mine was a 2001 by the way. I would own another lowe but I dont think it will be a welded one. My thought are that a welded boat doesnt have any flex to it. A riveted boat and a fiberglass can flex as they pound a wave. I also know several guys that had welded express's and have done the same thing that happened to mine. The weakest part of a welded boat is the welds. And I also know some guys that have lowes and never had a problem with them... Hope this helps in your search..
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

i like fiberglass better.
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Yep I agree with ya Papasage, I wont own a aluminum again. Fiberglass cost you a little more, but its worth the ride it gives ya. Nitro makes some glass boats that are similar in cost to aluminum.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Default What I have seen 1st hand...

Quote Originally Posted by TAE73
    I use to own Lowe 180w stinger ...I did have a major problem, that caused me to sell the boat... it was very windy and very rough. I hit a large enough wave that caused the bow to crack open. My thought are that a welded boat doesnt have any flex to it. A riveted boat can flex as they pound a wave. The weakest part of a welded boat is the welds.

My tournament partner and I also hit a wave very hard this year in his kid brother's boat. It folded up the bow of the boat on us like a safety pin! The damage was so bad that we sheered 53 rivets, completely split through both top rails, and the front deck busted all the way out of the boat. This WAS a RIVETED boat! They will flex more than a welded boat, but I don't believe that is an advantage.

According to my vocational welding teacher, a properly made weld(correct angle & penetration) is supposed to be stronger than the original material being joined. I suck at welding BTW! :rolleyes: LOL

My father still runs in a riveted Bass Tracker. We both would recomend a welded over a riveted boat. He is tired of hunting for popped rivets that let in water. I am just scared of not making it back to bank with all of my treasures!

<,"}/>{ Rippa
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast