Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Petition denied!!!!

Corker is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General - Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Petition denied!!!!

EPA denied the lead ban petition with the following public notice:

November 4, 2010 -- Today EPA denied a petition calling for a ban on the manufacture, use and processing of lead in fishing gear. In a letter to the petitioners, Steve Owens, EPA's Assistant Administrator for the Office of Chemical Safety and Pollution Prevention, indicated that the petitioners have not demonstrated that the requested rule is necessary to protect against an unreasonable risk of injury to health or the environment, as required by the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA). The letter further indicates that the increasing number of limitations on the use of lead fishing gear on some federal and state lands, as well as various federal and state education and outreach activities, call into question whether a national ban on lead in fishing gear would be the least burdensome, adequately protective approach to address the concern, as called for under TSCA. EPA's letter also notes that the prevalence of non-lead alternatives in the marketplace continues to increase. The pre-publication Federal Register Notice is here.

Please note that Crappie.com's comments were cited in the background document produced by EPA.
    Fishing since '50!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad they denied it but folks will still have to watch out for State actions against it.

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

Good news for now.

Thank you Corker

For keeping all of us up to speed on this issue and awareness of the methods that were used to voice our opinions. Strength in numbers.

Thanks again Corker

boatstall
    "Hello, My name is Bill, and I'm a tackleholic"

Post Thanks / Like

Great Job Corker. Corker for President.
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best

Post Thanks / Like

Glad they did as they should have on this. But like others it will be back up again soon. But the way the price of lead is climbing it may not be long until we can buy it. $1.12 per pound scrap price today. That is what the scrap yards are paying and our local buyer told today that it was going through the roof soon as with Metal Prices He's saying $3 per pound on metal by spring and lead around $2 per pound.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

It feels good to be in the winners circle once in a while. The EPA listened.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Mike View Post
    It feels good to be in the winners circle once in a while. The EPA listened.
    Yes it does feel good to win this one, but the do-gooders will keep trying so we have to stick together and take the time to write again(when needed) to preserve our fine sport of fishing.....and thanks to those who took a few minutes of their busy time to write congress folks & EPA.
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Corker is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General - Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boatstall View Post
    Thank you Corker For keeping all of us up to speed on this issue and awareness of the methods that were used to voice our opinions. Strength in numbers.
    Yes, there is strength in numbers. When our government works the way it's supposed to, an outpouring of public opposition generally kills or cripples agency rulemaking. The Regulations.gov website is a simple easy way to express our opinions on the full range of federal regulatory proceedings. Special interest websites like Crappie.com also play an important role. All it takes is one alert member to sound the alarm calling all our members to action.

Quote Originally Posted by Slab View Post
    Corker for President.
    I'm retired. I don't have time for such foolishness. There are freckles to be caught!
    Fishing since '50!

Post Thanks / Like

Being as the EPA's notice is dated the 4th, and they were supposed to rule on the 1st, I have to wonder how much influence the results of the mid-term elections had on the decision.

Thanks to all who responded and participated in this.

UG

Bob # 1 is offline Moderator Fisherman's Memorial Forum * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Good news.......but keep the vigal
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Testimonials
    Night fishing tips 101
    Temperature Guide Crappie

Fishing lights

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast