Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My own experience/preference of crappie poles (y'all may not like this)

Post Thanks / Like

Default My own experience/preference of crappie poles (y'all may not like this)

I am aware that there are not a lot of poles out there for crappie. BnM makes quite a few, then there are others,, Zebco makes one...etc etc.

I have had three BnM poles....one of them broke in half, i think it was just a defective pole. The other two I have seems to be pretty tough. Some say the top eye falls off sometimes but I havent had those problems.

Thought I would share this with y'all.

I am profoundly deaf,as the majority of our family is. Also, I have some visual problems, and for this reason, I tightline for crappie (we call them sacalait) exclusively. I do use a jig and float, but not for crappie.

Because of my deafness, my sensitivity to vibrations and any kind of tap or tick on the pole is extremely sharp.

True story........

I used to use a Lew's bream buster for years, but they dont make them any more. I bought a Master Crappie Grabber jig pole for vertical fishing. I am not sure what yall call these,, they have only one eye at the tip of the pole, and it is a telescopic pole. You can look at them, they are part # 3910, I believe...Master crappie grabber.

This pole is extremely sensitive, and I can feel the most delicate tap.

I had already bought the 10' Jigging pole from BnM, and I went to Bass Pro in Denham Springs to get a new vertical jig pole. I saw BnM's original Bream Buster, and purchased it. I am not sure if it is the same as Lew Childre's, but it is quite similar.

I did somehwhat of a comparison with these three poles...the BnM jigging pole, the BnM Bream buster, and the Master Crappie Grabber.

In all honesty, the Master Crappie Grabber was much more sensitive than the jigging pole and the BreamBuster is a little too flimsy.

One day, last week, on a Monday, I was fishing at the Bonnett Carre spillway and felt a bite, which I know was a goggle-eye, and I set the hook but he must have ran my line around a stump. As I was lifting, the pole broke in half. This pole was pulled in numerous fish and I know I was a little abusive with it, trying to straighten hooks of my jigs that were snagged...

So, the Master Crappie Grabber broke in the middle section.

I was stuck with the two BnM poles..which are tough poles, and I am not going to rag on them and say they are junk, but the Master Crappie Grabber is a more sensitive pole.

I know what all the reviews say and so forth..but for me, the Master pole is a better bite-sensing pole than the others.

Today, I was back at the spillway, and I actually watched my rod tip move on the Bream Buster and it was a bit, but I could barely feel it.

Just my .02 worth.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

just wondering why you would think we would not like your post, I for one did not mind it at all, opinions are a good thing as long as they are presented in a non abusive way.

I fished with one of them telescoping poles once, it was a hoote and no one up here ever seen one before, this was 20 years ago, now you can buy them in a few places. hope you can find some of the original poles you like.

Post Thanks / Like

That's it! This is war!!!!!!! Prepare the cannons!!!!

I wouldn't worry about it Timbeaux. It's a pretty laid back group until you start talking about fishing line.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing your view on the poles youve used. It might help out someone looking to pick up one of them. Welcome to the boards.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks...actually, the last time i posted something like this, years ago, it was on fishing line, when Spiderwire was all the rage, and I had some negative experiences with braided line...started a war.

Some folks are really defensive about their choice of tackle. If someone wants to use a BnM pole, thats their call. I fish with what works for me, and I know a Master Crappie Grabber may not be what works for others.

I find that rod, reel, and line, are usually controversial issues for some. With crappie poles, though, there are not that many out there.

I was at Cabela's in Gonzales yesterday and saw those Carrot Stix rods... very tempting,, but too pricey for me.

Post Thanks / Like

timbaux you should try and visit the rod room at Grizzly jig. Thank you for shareing your experience with the rods you have used but there are many, many crappie rods on the market and Grizzly has just about all of them. I think you would enjoy the trip and the ability compare several side by side.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM TWEENER!
    Member of Tri-State Crappie Anglers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe... View Post
    That's it! This is war!!!!!!! Prepare the cannons!!!!

I wouldn't worry about it Timbeaux. It's a pretty laid back group until you start talking about fishing line.

Wannabe...

LOL.. ill stay away from the fishing line topic then.....
    Slab Stik'r Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

thanks i will do that

Post Thanks / Like

when I was a kid, i had a daiwa procaster. we all fished at the golf course ponds (illegally, and yeah, i got a free ride home in the police car once for fishing at the waterfall by the country club) and one guy had an Ambassador reel. He comes by and asks, "How much you pay for that piece of crap?"

I fired back with my own insults and told him his reel was a dinosaur. He threatened to beat me up, which he definitely could not do.

Just sticky issues. But I have to agree...for some reason, fishing line is like "religion", its sacred and you dont knock somebody else's religion or fishing line.

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe... View Post

Wannabe...

And chain draggin'...
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast