Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Chrome crappie lures

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Chrome crappie lures

A bright, shiny nickel or chrome finish will really attract crappies because of the flash. Sometimes this is accomplished by a chrome spinner blade and other times by the use of chrome reflecting materials.

Many panfish are sight-feeders almost exclusively, and a confirmed way to appeal to them is to use lures that have very high visibility under given water and light conditions at particular depths. This is the advantage of chrome spinners or Mylar / chrome lures.

If you have an opinion please share with us.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

They are not as effective early in the morning though as they are later in the morning when the sun is higher. You really need clear brite sunny days to realize the full effectiveness of chrome or mylar or any other reflective materials.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G3 Fisherman View Post
    They are not as effective early in the morning though as they are later in the morning when the sun is higher. You really need clear brite sunny days to realize the full effectiveness of chrome or mylar or any other reflective materials.

David, sometimes I attach an elbow spinner or tie this on an underneath spinner jig to also put vibration into the equation. You are correct that on sunny days the added flash really brings them in to look at your offering. Come to think of it that is when I do a lot of my fishing. No wonder it works so good for me.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shipahoy41 View Post
    David, sometimes I attach an elbow spinner or tie this on an underneath spinner jig to also put vibration into the equation. You are correct that on sunny days the added flash really brings them in to look at your offering. Come to think of it that is when I do a lot of my fishing. No wonder it works so good for me.
    Mike, I found this out pulling crankbaits. Early in the morning or if its overcast I use dark colors....later on in the morning when the sun is higher I switch to the chrome colors.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

nice looking jig there Ship. I bet it would work in the clear waters of Beaver Lake or Stockton Lake. wonder what red/silver would look like in feather/hair jig, I use a silver flake tube jig dipped in red dye by slabbuster jigs and it works well I bet the marabou would also. nice looking jig.

Post Thanks / Like

I've always wondered the relationship between color and lure action. I don't think you can separate the two though I believe the latter is more important. I see chrome, nickel, silver as flashing, strobe-like reflectors, not colors per se, just as I see black as the absence of color which defines shapes.

Personally I like chrome or silver only in certain hard or wire type lures (spoons, spinners) and pearl, smoke or light green pumpkin in soft plastics. But I will give tiny silver flakes in clear plastic a try next time I pour some spoon minnows and see how they compare this Thurs. I'll also tie some 1/32 oz jigs with silver Flash-a-Bou and see how they work as compared to my favorite, irridescent peacock. If both work equally well, then I have to assume color and flash didn't matter that day.

Thanks for the concept.
    Last edited by Spoonminnow; 11-02-2010 at 10:03 AM.