PDA

View Full Version : Double crank bait rig? How do you?

Dongotto
11-01-2010, 10:07 AM
I read an article about capps and coleman pushing double crankbait rigs. How do you set this up?

Thanks

Wannabe...
11-01-2010, 10:44 AM
Heavy weight on bottom, 2 drop lines spaced at least 2ft apart.

Wannabe...

Dongotto
11-01-2010, 10:54 AM
Sorry, I need a little more clarification. Thanks

Wannabe...
11-01-2010, 02:24 PM
Hmmm. OK. Well you're going to need a heavy weight to get the angle as steep as possible because the cranks are going to dive down. So, what I would suggest is to take a heavy weight - say 2 to 4 ounces and tie on at the bottom of the line, then come up 2ft and put a 3 way swivel and put a leader on the swivel of about 2' and tie the first crank. Then up another 2' and another 3 way with a 2' swivel. I think that would work. Have never tried it though because the first catfish you hit or decent sized stripe is going to turn that rig into a tangled mess.

I think the leader with the drop is going to be necessarry to keep the baits from tangling the main line. Trouble is, you'll have to be very carful when deploying the rig to keep from tangling it. You'll need to let the first bait bite the water and dive down while holding the second bait then release the second and strip off the line slowly. Also, with the added weight, setting to the desired depth is going to be trial and error and you'll need a heavy rod to handle the weight and resistance of 2 baits.

That make more sense?

I would think an easier to handle multibait rig would be to come up from just the crankbait with a 3 way and maybe a curly tail jig. Keep thinking I'm going to try that, but just haven't gotten around to it.

Wannabe...

Bombfixer
11-01-2010, 02:30 PM

First time trying to upload a drawing or a photo so bear with me.

"G"
11-01-2010, 02:32 PM
I read an article about capps and coleman pushing double crankbait rigs. How do you set this up?

Thanks

Where did you see this article?

Wannabe...
11-01-2010, 03:07 PM
Yep, that's exactly what I was trying to describe. I think the key would be to have more seperation between #1 and #2 baits than the leader is long to cut down on tangles.

Wannabe...

"G"
11-01-2010, 03:16 PM

Thanks

I saw a article somewhere where somebody had about a 18-24 inch leader tied to the rear crankbait treble hook and on the end of the leader they had a jig tied on.

STUMP HUNTER
11-01-2010, 03:22 PM
Sounds like nothing but trouble. Never heard of them pulling cranks? I would like to read the article.

"G"
11-01-2010, 03:25 PM
I have never heard of Capps and Coleman pushing or pulling crankbaits either......thats why I asked where did he see the article.

STUMP HUNTER
11-01-2010, 03:40 PM
I have never heard of Capps and Coleman pushing or pulling crankbaits either......thats why I asked where did he see the article.

I should have said "use" lol.:)

yikess
11-01-2010, 03:49 PM

They do, Ronnie said they push cranks and use this technique to closely follow twisty creek channels.

"G"
11-01-2010, 04:25 PM
They do, Ronnie said they push cranks and use this technique to closely follow twisty creek channels.

Interesting....looks like with two crankbaits on each rig they would be tangleing up with each other.

yikess
11-01-2010, 07:08 PM
Sounds like it to me too. I have tried a 200 over a 300 before but it's not worth the extra effort.

creekslick
11-01-2010, 07:21 PM

Ronnie talked about pushing them at the siminar at BPS last winter.

kingkrappie
11-01-2010, 07:44 PM
Crappie Angler mag, they talked about doing it in the Aug/Sep issue, a reader asked for an explanation and a diagram was put in the current Oct/Nov issue, 100 on top, 300 on bottom, 4 oz weight on the bottom, the inches, swivels, and lb line are there as well, I can't believe there are crappie fisherman who still don't get this magazine!!

Dongotto
11-02-2010, 07:55 AM
Crappie Angler mag, they talked about doing it in the Aug/Sep issue, a reader asked for an explanation and a diagram was put in the current Oct/Nov issue, 100 on top, 300 on bottom, 4 oz weight on the bottom, the inches, swivels, and lb line are there as well, I can't believe there are crappie fisherman who still don't get this magazine!!

That is where I read about it. I have yet to recieve the Oct/Nov issue. How long have you had yours?

Thanks

kingkrappie
11-02-2010, 06:07 PM
That is where I read about it. I have yet to recieve the Oct/Nov issue. How long have you had yours?

Thanks

you need to call 'em I've had mine for a few weeks, they'll take care of ya if something happened.

wilbur
11-02-2010, 06:12 PM

Thanks

I think it was in crappie angler.

jeepguyjames
11-02-2010, 07:08 PM
I saw a article somewhere where somebody had about a 18-24 inch leader tied to the rear crankbait treble hook and on the end of the leader they had a jig tied on.

I read the same thing, and tried it a few times this year. worked pretty ok for us.....I think it was Jim Duckworth...maybe in an article in crappie world......we just used a leader and a hook with either a solid body tube, or a twisty tail....

bugman
11-03-2010, 05:33 AM
That technique could get costly in a big hurry.......believe i'll stick to 2 jigs/minnows or 1 crank.Anyone have a link to crappie angler mag?

majflyboy
11-03-2010, 07:00 AM
That technique could get costly in a big hurry.......believe i'll stick to 2 jigs/minnows or 1 crank.Anyone have a link to crappie angler mag?

Just for you.
Crappie Angler (http://www.crappieanglermagazine.com/)

INTIMIDATOR
11-03-2010, 07:25 AM
I have used a variation for the past few years that works on bank or boat. I exclusively use braid due to the fact my home lake is deep, fertile, and stained, braid also gives me extra flexibility to retrieve lures.
My setup ties a Lazer Power snap swivel on the end of the line and another 2' up, if I'm trying to find depths of fish I will tie on a third if necessary. I can use 2 crankbaits of any size with no problems, 2 jigs, or any other combo, and can switch out fast and easy. Tangles are really no problem.
Most of the time I have a crank on the bottom and a smaller plastic swimbait 2' up, but when I'm crappie fishing it's 2 jig heads and plastic Jap swimbaits. I have alot of double hookups.

beagle man
11-03-2010, 08:34 AM
I tried what the walley guys do, they take a floating shad rap or similar,and put a deep diver about 30 inches back, they tie the back crank bait to the ring on the front floater, the tention from the back bait keeps the front crank from rising, I have done this several time long lining and it works pretty well.