Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Setting up new boat question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Setting up new boat question

I recently purchased a 1860 aluminum Triton and will having to get a new trolling motor . My question being what pound thrust motor would you get ? I will be using this TM for normal shallow water fishing but the whole idea behind buying this boat was to spider- rigging also.
    I have been looking at the Minn Kota auto pilot and thought this would be a great tool to have as far as the spider-rigging . Does anyone have any thoughts likes or dislikes on this certain motor?
    Also due to the price of these TM's would a 12 volt be good enough for this application? I have been used to using my bass boat and the Johnson 24V TM but always used it on the 12V setting on low to troll. I will still continue to bass fish a little. Boat is set up for a 24V system with a battery box to support this. I just like the idea of the eletric drive steering foot pedal and if or when I make a good drift be able to turn around and repeat the same drift. Just wondering if this function is really worth the added expense. I have already spent to much on the new boat and motor just kinda manic over how to set this up. I want the best stuff on a new ride like this but no need to go completely broke . But also dont want a few hundred dollars more to stop me from having everything I wanted neither. Done in the poor house now, LOL
    Jesus Saves!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I love mine. I have a Minn Kota Power Drive. It's an 80lb thrust with universal sonar. I have two remote controls co pilots and these work like a charm. I had to get a big thrust because i have mine on a 3 log pontoon and i got the 60" long shaft. You won't have to have that long of a shaft or that much thrust for a bass boat. The co pilot remotes i can't brag on enough and i use it and anyone with me uses the other as we keep the trolling motor going from anywhere in the boat.

They will work along ways off, the remotes. You can't get to far from where it won't work.

Post Thanks / Like

An 18 foot boat is gonna get caught by the wind some. If I were you I would go with a 24V TM with a foot pedal set up. That's what I know. DOn't know a thing about the remote run units. Do know that I had an issue with Minn Kota motor and an authorized dealer fixed it without a receipt.

Post Thanks / Like

Most of my crappie fishing is spider trolling. The best set up in my opinion is a 24 volt trolling motor that is variable speed. you can fish with this set up all day and still have good power at the end of the day. I use a 56 pound thrust on a 18 foot fiberglass and it works well. You have so many more choices in your speed. A lot of times on the old style motors even low speed is to fast. Trolling motor is the most important thing in trolling that I have found. Have been using this system the last 6 years and it works very well.

Post Thanks / Like

The auto pilot is a great motor for trolling, but for bass fishing you will find the response time for turining slower than a conventional foot control. I agree with Dwightparks that I think a variable speed 24 volt would be better for both.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Minnkota PD/AP 24V is the only way to go. You won't regret it. I also have the Universal sonar but stopped using it since I found out it has only a 12° cone. Sac-a-lait is right about the problem. They had a bad run of control boards but were replacing them free of charge. This has since been fixed.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

IBNFSHN, thanks for your post. I have noticed my Lowrance 102Color up front on the Minn Kota, doesn't show like i want it to or show as much stuff while on the Minn Kota. I usually keep it on the console and i have another transducer on the back of the boat, this 102c really shines and i really like it.

I have another Lowrance b&w, it looks just like the 102c but it's b&w. It seems to do really good matched with the Minn Kota. So i keep it up front. I went and looked just yesterday if Minn Kota had my 102c listed as one to work with the Minn Kota and it was listed.

You explained why and i had wondered about it, if my back transducer was better than my Minn Kota transducer. It is the 12* cone. What fishfinder did you have hooked up to your Minn Kota IBNFSHN?

It seems like it's funny that i think my b&w works great on the Minn Kota, where i don't think my 102color seems to be or it doesn't seem to show near as much. I was wondering was you using a b&w or color on yours?

Post Thanks / Like

Bingo, IBNFSHN, I was just wondering - the speed control on the remote -
    how fine can you tune it? Can you bump it up or down barely enough to
    change the sound of the motor, or does it make a pretty good jump when
    you "tap" it?
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

I recently rigged a 1754 Tracker. I put the 50lb Powerdrive on it. I love it! 90% of my fishing is spider rigging and makes it easier to fish in the wind with the variable speed. These new motors don't use the juice that the older ones do. I havn't had any trouble fishing all day in the wind.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not concerned about the remote system available with this unit but was wondering more about the auto-pilot part of this TM. I know a 24V would be better for various reasons and would love to have it. Just needed some input on the built- in compass this thing has and if it is worth the money?
    I figure anything over 5o or 55#'s of thrust would work OK but like stated before the boat will catch alot more wind than glass this is why I was wondering about the autopilot if it would really do what it says. Take care of direction for you while you just fish. Any input will be greatly appreciated.
    Jesus Saves!!!!!