Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: I'm building me a dock.....

TN River: Clifton, Perryville, occasionally northward
    Post Thanks / Like

Question I'm building me a dock.....

We have been planning to build a dock for a few years. This year, we actually have gotten started. What you see is phase #1 - the fixed walkway. This area floods at least once a year, so I wanted to build one that would withstand flooding. What do you think? I promise, I will never do this again!! I don't think my shoulder will ever be the same after putting the poles in the ground! (those are telephone/power poles averaging 12" in diameter, that are @ 9 ft. long)

The plan is for a swiveling walkway to attach to this walkway, with the dock attached to it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    BSRRofl

Post Thanks / Like

looks great, should withstand about anything short of a tidal wave. I bet those poles are tuff to deal with, but look good and will last a long time. I'm building a small 10'x10' deck on the side of my house, and I'm dreading using 4"x4" posts, so maybe I won't complain/dread it so much after seeing that job. GL with the whole build.

What causes the annual flooding, rains or raising the lake level???
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

That's one hell of a walkway. you are doing it right but Oh my acking back. that why I bought a old pontoon boat years ago for a floater

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like ALOT of hard work but it'll pay for itself once you get it completed. Keep the pics coming on the project.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Good work. I need a few poles replaced on my sea wall. Phone number?
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimp View Post
    looks great, should withstand about anything short of a tidal wave. I bet those poles are tuff to deal with, but look good and will last a long time. I'm building a small 10'x10' deck on the side of my house, and I'm dreading using 4"x4" posts, so maybe I won't complain/dread it so much after seeing that job. GL with the whole build.

What causes the annual flooding, rains or raising the lake level???

Mostly it's rainfall. If there is a major rain event, TVA will flood everything from Pickwick Dam to Kentucky Dam to keep the water from rising 6" On Wheeler, Wilson, etc. Down in this area, a small rise in water level has a pretty big impact. At summer pool, the water line will probably be right to the second set of poles.
    BSRRofl

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like you're doing an amazing job and you know what you're doing. Very impressive, please keep us updated on this project.
    J

kycreek is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Heavy Duty !!! Looks like a good start

Post Thanks / Like

Phase #2 is a metal (aluminum hopefully) swiveling walkway that will be attached to the fixed walkway on one end and the dock (phase 3) on the other. I've been checking out scrapyards trying to find materials. The attached pic is sort of what I had in mind. Any tips would be appreciated.

Name:  sample walkway3.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  74.6 KB
    BSRRofl