Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Wiring a new Onboard charger?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wiring a new Onboard charger?

I know the instructions will tell how but what does it involve so I will Have an idea of what I am getting into both time and cost. I am putting it on a '90 Lowe with 2 batteries one for trolling and the other for cranking and acc's. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I put one in my boat Saturday...first time I had ever done one. It was a Dual Pro, 3 bank, Pro Series. No problem at all. Instructions are straightforward and easy to understand. It took me about 1 1/2 hrs to pull the old one and install the new one, and I had to end up relocating my cranking battery a few inches...if I did another one, I could do it half that time or less.

I have 2 trolling batteries and the cranking battery...the charger has one wire with 2 leads from each bank to connect to each battery...red to positive, black to negative on each battery...nothing to it. Biggest decision will be where to mount it.

Go for it...if I can do it, anybody can. If you've not already bought your charger, I highly recommend the Dual Pro...it is a heck of a product.

Good luck.

Billy

Post Thanks / Like

i second that vote for dual pro...i charge mine over 200 times a yr and have used one for 3 yrs with no trouble!

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

When I installed mine I also added one of these:http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults

It makes it real easy to plug the charger in.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of location do you mount the on-board charger on your boat? Does it need to be protected from the elements?

Post Thanks / Like

All Ive seen are waterproof. Ive got a ProMariner. Billy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bugtussle
    What kind of location do you mount the on-board charger on your boat? Does it need to be protected from the elements?

Mine is in the same underdeck compartment with my batteries. If I were you I would want it covered if at all possible. The one I replaced was originally mounted on the transom underneath. I had room to put the new one forward of that on some space I had.

Billy

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty much idiot proof BB91. I should know, put in a few of them. Just make sure of the location, so the leads from the charger will reach the batteries. Does'nt hurt to locate in the dry also, I toasted a waterproof one once. But Pro Mariner replaced it...izzy