Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Crappie spot?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Favorite Crappie spot?

Where do u fish for crappies in ohio?
    So far i have fished buckeye, hoover, alum, o shay, delaware. Last year i had the chance to hook into some lake erie crappies. My biggest crappie in 2005 came from erie. What other good crappie lakes do u fish with sucess?

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

By far and away, it's mosquito lake. You wouldn't believe the fish-ohio crappies caught there every year. Just last may i caught a whole stringer of citation size fish with the biggest being over 15". They have the picture at Causeway Bait shop. I doubt if its still on the wall now.

Post Thanks / Like

Chaunc is right on mosquito. Very good crappie lake. Atwood and Saltfork are also at the top of my list. Piedmont has come on in the last couple years also.
    Tim
    Ohio State Board moderator
    www.easternbuckeyecrappieclub.com
    or [email protected]
    NAFC Life Member

Post Thanks / Like

I am from NW ohio so I agree with the Lake Erie crappie fishing. I have also had good luck in Findlay res. #2. Veterans Memorial res in Fostoria was also very good last year. Not great size, but very good numbers.

Post Thanks / Like

Atwood especially when there is ice. Some backwater areas of the Tuscarawas River can be great for crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chaunc
    By far and away, it's mosquito lake. You wouldn't believe the fish-ohio crappies caught there every year. Just last may i caught a whole stringer of citation size fish with the biggest being over 15". They have the picture at Causeway Bait shop. I doubt if its still on the wall now.
    Hey Chaunc, Question, I fish Mosquito, actually not very frequently, but it is within an hour and a half drive. I like to jig shallow for crappie, you know like bass, by far my favorite vs. deep fishing, but my question is, were can i fish like that on the lake? I have never been past the bridge, I stay typically on the lower part of the lake by the causeway and the campground. I hear there are big cats there too, any truth to that. And LASTLY, when do they hit up here? I spent the last 3 years in Arkansas, and the season starts earlier there then here because of the water temp. Normally around mid-april, is it safe to assume they are a month ahead and Mid-May will hit hard?

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Early to mid may is the best time for spawners. For jig fishing i hit the stumpfield just s/w of the 88 causeway. Use your electronics to find a nice size stump and anchor and fish it. I do very good drifting a minnow under a bobber also. For the best mixed bag i fish up by the bouy line. Walleye, crappie, perch, gills, pike, bass, and cats. And i've had days when i caught every one of these. I take a two week vacation in mid- may every year and spend most of it at squito. Looking to trade a trip this year with someone who wants to fish shenango lake in Pa. for a berlin lake trip. Any takers?

Post Thanks / Like

well, outta curiousity, that stumpfield houses more than crappie i assume and some cats will be bottom feeding so thats a good thing...but how about at night? Berlin is closer than mosquito, how is the crappie there?

Post Thanks / Like

Default "Nothin' could be fina than fishin' in Celina..."

It can be inconsistant from year to year, but Grand Lake St Marys can be a great crappie lake. We only fish from shore up there since our boat is too small to be safe on that lake, but there's lots of good shore access with lots of cover.

We fish Acton most often for crappie. Lots of 9+ inch fish in that lake. We catch our share of 12's. My largest there was 13 1/2", but if you can get down to the dam, you can find some real slabs. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Cut Bait Guest

I know it is regarded as a great bass lake, but I have taken alot of big crappie from Knox Lake, up in Fredeickstown. There is alot of brush and a good section of the lake is a stump field.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast