Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How accurate are your gps?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How accurate are your gps?

I was given a Garmin E -trex it appears it gets no closer then 24 to 49 feet.
    I need somthing down to 2 feet or less.Any thoughts on this one?

Post Thanks / Like

The Garmins I have are very accurate. If yours is WAAS enabled make sure it is turned on or the accuracy wont be close.

Post Thanks / Like

Accuracy will always depend on signal strength and the number of satellites you are tracking at a given time. If these are weak or intermittent your results will also be weak. I have an older model (no WAAS) that will, at times, be very precise...other times not.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Etrx LEgend and it nails them everytime. I put in the waypoint, tell it goto and when I hit the spot it says arriving at destination...I have noticed that as long as my line of sight in every direction is clear I can get accuarcy down to a couple of feet but inside coves with trees, etc, the accuracy drops of a few feet...WAAS is enabled.

Post Thanks / Like

The eTrex has a positioning averaging feature that helps to reduce the error introduced by the government’s Selective Availability (SA) policy. The accuracy for the eTrex however around 15 meters (about 50 feet – though this may increase or decrease depending upon the number of satellites received and the SA policy in the area). The eTrex can receive signals from up to 12 different satellites in the GPS constellation, however it’s unlikely that you’ll ever lock onto all 12 at any one time.

Post Thanks / Like

My legend the best I have ever seen was 9ft, usually its 12-16ft. The best it can get anyway is 9ft, by the goverments law. I want my to get my in the general area anyway, I have a good enough depth finder to find what I am looking for.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I can get with in 15 to20 feet on a brush pile just by land marks .I need tech. to bring me with in 2 feet.
    I hear the Europeans are launching there own system soon maybee they will let you get with in a few feet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappie joe
    The eTrex has a positioning averaging feature that helps to reduce the error introduced by the government’s Selective Availability (SA) policy. The accuracy for the eTrex however around 15 meters (about 50 feet – though this may increase or decrease depending upon the number of satellites received and the SA policy in the area). The eTrex can receive signals from up to 12 different satellites in the GPS constellation, however it’s unlikely that you’ll ever lock onto all 12 at any one time.
    I have a Garmin GPS 72 and was wondering if I use the averaging function Would it be worth my while? Do you need to be anchored up and still for it to function? Or can you just hold in place with your TM and it will be closer than it was before using the averaging? I have been wondering about how much closer it would get me. I can get very close as it is, can always find the stump with in a couple of mins.
    Last edited by SteveJ; 02-07-2006 at 07:34 PM.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad to see this post. Not owning a unit I thought it'd pinpoint your brushpiles EVERY TIME! I can get within 25 ft of mine without using my depthfinder and then do the rest with it.

hmmm.... Might hold off on buying one till I hear something better.....much better.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

I place my condos at least the length of my boat which is 16 feet. I drop them while anchored and after arranging them all over my boat for placement. WHen I go back to them, once my gps says arriving at destination, I throw out a marker. Then I troll back by and around until I find some cover with my fish finder and if way off the original buoy I drop another and go pick the first buoy up. Either way, gps is the way to go.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast