Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need help to rig my jon boat with rod holders. On a budget!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default I need help to rig my jon boat with rod holders. On a budget!!

Ok guys I have a 12 ft crestliner jon boat that I have been using to troll for specks. I do not have any rod holders in the boat , and would like some other jon boat owners ideas.
    Right now I can use 4 rod holders (the cheap clamp on kind) on the transom, but those clamp ons will not work well on the sides of the boat. They want to roll off because the sides are rounded at the top. Thanks for the help.

Ranger690 is offline Crappie.com Legend and 2021 Crappie.com Man of the Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Clamp a 2x4 or 2x6 to the side,with enought edge sticking up, then the clamp on's to the board.

Dayton

Post Thanks / Like

We use the same style of rod holder in my dad's Ranger. Here's a thread containing a picture of them.
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/arkan...ble-limit.html

I'll see if I can't find a better picture and post on here when I get home.
    J

Post Thanks / Like

yeah if you wanna use those cheap ones all you can do is make somehting to attach to the sides of your boat so that you can clamp the holders on. Or, you could put some wood in the bottom of your john boat with a little marine carpet and buy you some decent holders to attach. I told you about the Hi teks on the Florida forum. They are good holders and they are priced well. but i guess it depends on what kinda budget your on. i have 17ft Lund and a 15ft jon boat. I have bases in both boats and all i gotta do is take my holders outta my Lund and stick em in my john.
    ,,,,,,,-------,,7777777,,,,,........99999...........www.catchcarolina.com

Post Thanks / Like

yeah i plan to get some nice ones one day for my 18 ft boat but right now im just looking for a "quick fix " as for putting wood in the jon boat i dont want any more weight i already carry a bunch of gear thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I don't have any better pictures of my setup. What I did though was take the cheap rod holders and removed the clamp portion. Then I bolted the top portion (the actual rod holder) down onto my T-bar setup. Works quite well.
    J

Post Thanks / Like

check out monks, he has Complete T bar setups for like $80 i think, money well spent, for an extra $10 you can get a extra base for the back (LOnglining, Trolling) and use the base that comes with it up front for spider rigging
    "Kids who hunt and fish dont steal and deal"

2012 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2012 Buggs Bash Champion

Post Thanks / Like

there's a base that is curved on the bottom and flat on the top, you screw that into the top of the boat rail/side wall, there's a threaded hole in the middle that you screw your rod holder into, i think its attwood, friend of mine has the bases all the way around his little john boat, and just screws the holders in wherever he wants for what type of fishing he's doin.
    I clever quip fishing ironic statement crappie!

Post Thanks / Like

Here is some I made with pvc pipe.

WALLY MARSHALL PRO STAFF
    CATCHIN' CRAPPIE GUIDE SERVICE
    CREEKS ROD TRANSPORT RACK
    870-307-2572

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by creekslick View Post
    Here is some I made with pvc pipe.
    now that is a rod holder!
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast