Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arkansas trout

Post Thanks / Like

Default Arkansas trout

The wife and I decided to take a quick trip to north Arkansas this weekend to catch the leaves. I brought my boat with plans to slip off to do some rainbow trout fishing. Went four hours Sunday afternoon at Rim Shoals on the White River near Mountain Home and caught and released 46 on my fly rod. We also went to the hatchery at Quarry Dam (Lake Norfork). There's a creek there with about a 4 foot vertical waterfall. The brown trout spawn this time of the year and they bunch up under the falls trying to make their way over it. We watched them awhile jumping and I said there's no way in the world a fish could make that leap. Lo and behold we sat there and watched six of them make it over the falls. I would have never believed it if I hadn't seen it. Below are some photos. The second photo is looking down the falls at a good sized trout jumping straight up. If you're ever in the Norfork area in the next month or so, check out the fish hatchery.

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful scene Tbone. Know you enjoyed it.
    Be as smart as you can, but it is always better to be wise than to be smart.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a great pic! Wonder what it was thinking when it jumped up and saw you there! hehe

Post Thanks / Like

That is amazing, great pictures Tbone.
    1967/68

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful photos. Wish I was there right now.
    The Lord is good. His mercy and love endures forever.

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to point it out but there's a trout going up the falls in the upper left of the first photo.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Terry -
    How come you go all the way upstate and pass up some fine fishing in the Little Red, especially (From what I hear) for browns this time of the year?
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Now is a great time to catch monster browns near the head of Lake Tanneycomo in southern Missouri, too.
    All fishing, all the time!

Post Thanks / Like

Pete, I do sometimes stop at the Little Red to fish below the dam or at the Swinging Bridge. But had the little woman with me this time and she didn't hanker to sit in the truck while I fished. And on a trip like that, "If momma ain't happen, ain't nobody happy." But I've never had as good of luck on the Little Red as the White and North Fork (and Sylamore Creek when it gets a bit colder).

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome pics.. I bet it was really enjoyable to see them live jumping up the waterfall. Thanks for the pics and Congrats on the catch.
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast